PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntivirusOveride

jebrady
2007-04-07, 00:38
The above item came up in a scan. Don't know what this is? Not sure why it's just now showing up, but don't want to delete if it's a false-positive result. Is it safe to remove?

Snapshot of actual Spybot result listing attached.

Running Spybot S&D 1.4 - Last Update 2-14-2007 (updated today).

Thanks...JEB

Zenobia
2007-04-07, 07:32
Have a look here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5970&highlight=Antivirusoverride
And here:
http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/46.html

jebrady
2007-04-11, 16:42
Thanks for the links. I understand now what S&D's trying to inform me of, but now my question is, why now? I've had this same setup on on this pc (hardware, OS, software) for about 5 years now. Was there something in a new (S&D) update that would have triggered this (again)?

Just curious!:bigthumb:

Thanks...JEB

md usa spybot fan
2007-04-11, 19:12
jebrady:

Although the name of the detection has changed several times since the detection was first introduced with the 2005-07-25 update of the Spybot detection rules, the actual registry entry being detected has not changed.

Various names of the detection:
2005-07-25

Security Risks: Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
2005-07-30

Windows Security Center: Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
2005-08-06

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings
2006-09-29

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusOverride: Settings
Since the detection itself has not changed, the only explanation of the on-again, off-again detection of "AntiVirusOverride" is something is changing the status of "Virus Protection" within the Windows Security Center.

jebrady
2007-04-14, 00:51
md usa spybot fan - Thanks for the detailed explaination. It was very helpful.

L8R...jeb

Stop by and visit
JEB's (fishing) Website
at www.jebswebsite.com