PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Virus Reccomendation?

Eldrin
2007-04-15, 03:00
Hello everyone.

For years I have used FRisk F-Prot as my desktop antivirus solution, and until recently have been pleased with the result. However, about a week ago, something got through, and since then I have been doing by best to get rid of it. (In fact, as soon as TrendMicro Housecall finishes doing it's scan, I am posting in the Malware Removal area)

What do you guys recommends to use as their security protection? I already use Spybot, and won't let Symantec near my computer. And of course, Firefox is my browser unless I am on the Windows Update site. Are the TrendMicro programs good? Any other really good solutions out there?

Thanks in advance,
Eldrin

tashi
2007-04-15, 04:27
Hi there.

For years I have used FRisk F-Prot as my desktop antivirus solution, and until recently have been pleased with the result. However, about a week ago, something got through,

We should all have an anti virus program, but it isn't a guarantee that nothing will ever break through. :fear:

And of course, Firefox is my browser unless I am on the Windows Update site. Firefox vunerablities have increased with it's popularity.

These topics may be of interest:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=11789 http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9289

Perhaps our members will have other suggestions. :)

zapjb
2007-04-15, 04:32
I use Kaspersky.

Eldrin
2007-04-15, 06:31
We should all have an anti virus program, but it isn't a guarantee that nothing will ever break through. :fear:

Oh, I know. There are plenty of other reasons why I want to dump F-prot. The virus getting through was just the last straw.

Firefox vunerablities have increased with it's popularity.

Very true, still not enough for me to go back to Internet Explorer.

Thanks tashi, zapjb, for your recs. I am checking out the NOD32 now.

Rednose
2007-04-16, 00:59
NOD32 is a very good choice, but you have to pay for it. You could also choose a freeware solution, and do a regular online scan with for example Kaspersky as a backup :)

Greetz, Red.

Rednose
2007-04-16, 01:21
Firefox vunerablities have increased with it's popularity.

I am sorry dear :flowers: But Firefox with NoScript is still safer than Internet Explorer :bigthumb:

Greetz, Red.

tashi
2007-04-16, 01:44
In your opinion. ;) Both have vulnerabilities and both need to be kept updated.

Rednose
2007-04-16, 02:10
You are right dear, as always ;)

Greetz, Red.

2bsss
2007-04-18, 16:49
and won't let Symantec near my computer.

I use Symantec and I was curious as to why you don't use it? There is a free anti-virus program from AVG, but I do not know how good it is since I do not use it but have considered because I like the AVG anti-malware.

chrisa23
2007-04-18, 17:35
I also use symantec and is internet explorer that bad I use it and seems to go fast but I have ie7 not ie6 I think that makes a difference.....

tashi
2007-04-18, 17:38
I use Symantec and I was curious as to why you don't use it?

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=7683 21 pages so far. :)

Lictor
2007-04-21, 22:18
just booted new machine. amd/win-vista premium. Had all of my instalables on an off board usb drive. Instalables=Avg free,Spybot S&D,Zonealarm.
All of the above instalables were the very latest setup programs. Avg and Spybot installed perfectly. Zonealarm,crashed badly,had to do a restore. All of these programs were of the free variety. ZA say they will soon have a win vista version. I just used win vistas firewall,worked fine for now.
All anti-virus programs let some viruses in,that is the job of the hacker who creates them. That is to find a way around all of the antivius definitions. There are hackers who create them and programers that fight them.
I've been using the three free programs,on my old machine,for years. I recommend all of them very highly. AVG=virus protection - Zonealarm as a fire wall and Spybot for finding and removing junk.
One thing about Spybot I should mention,is if you r installing a new program that u trust u should shut off the TeaTimer feature first,then install you new program. Then turn teatimer back on. Saves some fooling around. Finding teatimer and turning it off is tricky. Boot Spybot,be sure u r in advanced mode. This is done by clicking FILE-top left-then clicking advanced mode. Now on the bottom of the left column=Settings tab and Tools tab,click Tools. In the tools(left side)find,RESIDENT,click on it. Now on that page is a check for Teatimer.(uncheck it) Reverse procedure to invoke Teatimer. Do not leave it turned off. Any ?

TechWizWorld
2007-04-22, 19:46
No matter what anyone says Norton by Symantec is the leader in anti-virus software!

Once upon, along time ago I hade a security program called "Macafee," I did a lot of work on the computer Spreadsheets and stuff. I probably had 5 or 6,000 spreadsheets, one day while working my computer CRASHED! it had never done this before! I was able to restart it but it was extremely slow! I thought it was because it crashed.
A week later it was so slow, I could not even use it!
When i finally got one of my spread sheets to open it was CORRUPTED.
I then uninstalled Macafee, which sped up my computer a lot!
It turned out that all of my important documents were Dead!
I asked a friend and he said it was a virus called a Trojan horse!!!
I bought Norton Internet security and it found Two Trojans!
Ever since Norton has been the way to go!
I have never gotten another virus, I am a very avid internet user too!

You can download a free 6 month trial of norton from google with the google pack.

Avast anti-virus is another great choice!

md usa spybot fan
2007-04-22, 21:24
If you are interested in test results of anti-virus software, there is one here from the av-comparatives.org (http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/home.html):
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report13.pdf
Note: The following is only a brief summary of the material in the report. I suggest that you read the report if you are really interested how the different anti-virus software products compare.

Fastest in detecting new malware samples:
AVIRA AntiVir Personal Edition Premium 7.03
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0.2
Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 14.0
ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus 2.70.23
AVG Anti-Malware 7.5
BitDefender Professional Plus 10

Certification Levels:
Advanced Plus (+):
G DATA AntiVirusKit (AVK) 17.0
TrustPort Antivirus Workstation 2.5
AVIRA AntiVir Personal Edition Premium 7.03
F-Secure Anti-Virus 7.01
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0.2
eScan Anti-Virus 8.0

Advanced:
Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 14.0
ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus 2.70.23
AVG Anti-Malware 7.5
BitDefender Professional Plus 10
Fortinet FortiClient 3.0
Avast! Professional Edition 4.7
Norman Virus Control 5.82
F-Prot for Windows 6.0.5.1

Standard Certification:
McAfee VirusScan 11.1
Dr.Web for Windows 95-XP 4.33.2

No certification:
Microsoft OneCare 1.5

tashi
2007-04-22, 21:51
No matter what anyone says Norton by Symantec is the leader in anti-virus software!

Heh. Personally I don't know of anyone in the security community recommending Norton. Not for a long time.

Symantec has good advertising though. :shrug:

spybot_S&D user
2007-04-30, 06:27
i think that avg would be good i think they still offer it free.i am not sure i heard that when the new version of avg is out you would have to pay for it.but i am not sure.

Zenobia
2007-04-30, 07:24
I'd seen some others thinking that AVG would no longer be free with the newer version,but as far as I know,it'll still be free for home users:
http://www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/?p=3703

williameric
2007-04-30, 11:27

Once upon, along time ago I hade a security program called "Macafee," I did a lot of work on the computer Spreadsheets and stuff. I probably had 5 or 6,000 spreadsheets, one day while working my computer CRASHED! it had never done this before! I was able to restart it but it was extremely slow! I thought it was because it crashed.
A week later it was so slow, I could not even use it!
When i finally got one of my spread sheets to open it was CORRUPTED.
I then uninstalled Macafee, which sped up my computer a lot!
It turned out that all of my important documents were Dead!
I asked a friend and he said it was a virus called a Trojan horse!!!
I bought Norton Internet security and it found Two Trojans!
Ever since Norton has been the way to go!
I have never gotten another virus, I am a very avid internet user too!

You can download a free 6 month trial of norton from google with the google pack.

Avast anti-virus is another great choice!

rubbish,. it is intrusive invasive and impossible to get rid of once you have it installed

rn2007
2007-05-02, 02:26
i understand you can get avg from www.filehippo.com for free along with many other programs or antivirus software. That is where i got spybot and avg from. I dont know if this is any help to anyone but thought i would help lol

robz

SpySentinel
2007-05-02, 02:51
I personally love Symantec's Norton Products, especially its 2007 line up.