PDA

View Full Version : Alert

lulugrey
2007-04-17, 21:36
I just downloaded SP2 and am now receiving alerts everytime I reboot stating that Spybot has detected a change to the registry:

I am asked to allow or not allow:

4/17/2007 2:25:02 PM Allowed value "{8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467}" (new data: "") deleted in Global browser toolbar!
4/17/2007 2:25:02 PM Allowed value "BootExecute" (new data: "") deleted in Session manager!
4/17/2007 2:25:02 PM Allowed value "ExcludeFromKnownDlls" (new data: "") deleted in Session manager!

I didn't have any issues before the SP2 download that I am aware of, so I think this has something to do with Microsoft. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I checked the remember this decision box last time, but I'm still getting confirmation boxes at bootup.

md usa spybot fan
2007-04-18, 06:02
The cause of the problem could be because TeaTimer's snapshot files are out of sync with the registry. TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshots were taken.

This is speculation, but I believe this behavior is because of the following:
It appears that when TeaTimer starts the snapshot files are read into memory and maintained there. The snapshot files only appear to be rewritten when TeaTimer closes. During system shutdown (or restart) it appears that TeaTimer is terminated before it has a chance to rewrite the snapshot files.
The solution to the problem is to refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files if you are getting repetitive messages a system startup. There are two ways to do that:Refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Manually exit TeaTimer immediately prior to system shutdown or restart.

lulugrey
2007-04-18, 16:55
Problem solved. I reset teatimer on my own yesterday on a hunch, and all is well. Your theory is confirmed. Thank you for your help.:rolleyes: