PDA

View Full Version : Spybot v1.4 Not Detecting Anything

Slats
2005-12-29, 17:28
I'm not sure what's happened. Maybe when I upgraded to the 1.4 or maybe sometime afterwards, but when I scan my puter I get the Congrats! message and I know it's gone way to long not to find spyware.

Any ideas on what to check would be more than welcome!:confused:

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-29, 18:00
Not finding anything is not necessarily bad, in fact it's good.

During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar shows the following: "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
xxxxx = Current check count
yyyyy = Total check count
zzzzz = Malware being checked for
After the 2005-12-23 updates (without the ßDetection rules) the scan counts (yyyyy value) should be:
Without Usage tracks - 32961
With Usage tracks – 35560
If the counts are correct you are checking for everything. If the counts are not correct, look in Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode (say "Yes" to the warning if necessary) > Settings > File Sets. Make sure that everything is checked except the possibly the last two items. The last two items are "Usage Tracks" and should only be checked if you want to check for them (I personally don't). The first of these two items (Usage Tracking) lists IE Cache (temporary internet files), Common Dialogs, Cookies and some Logs. The second is other "Usage Tracks".

Slats
2005-12-29, 18:47
Thanks for the reply md usa spybot fan. The Check for problems line is fine, it goes to 32961. It goes weeks now without finding any problems which would be nice to know was true, however adaware will constantly find 20-30 problems after I run Spybot. Up until recently It would find something each time I would run it. It seems like something is turned off.....?:eek:

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-29, 19:00
What is Ad-aware finding?

If it is tracking cookies, here is an explanation and solution:
If you are using Internet Explorer and have activated Spybot's Resident SD helper Browser Helper Object (BHO), it will block the same tracking cookies that Spybot's scan detects. Therefore you would not detect those tracking cookies. The other thing is that Spybot does not check of all known tracking cookies. The reason and an alternative are explained here:
Why do other anti-spyware applications detect so many more tracking cookies?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/37.html

If it is not tracking cookies that Ad-Aware is finding, consider posting what is not being found by Spybot and perhaps it will get added to Spybot’s detection database.

Slats
2005-12-29, 20:05
Good md usa spybot fan, I think it has been tracking cookies. I look carefully next time I run them and will post if something seems to get missed.

Thanks! :dancing-c