PDA

View Full Version : Spybot shut down 75% through scan

mottoman
2007-04-24, 17:56
Every time I run Spybot with folders included in the settings/ directories/ download directory, Spybot close's when it's about 75% through the scan, if no folders are included Spybot runs ok, at first I thought this might be spyware so I moved all files from the folders to c:\ and then re-scanned, the scan completed successfully.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
mottoman

spybotsandra
2007-04-24, 18:17
Hello,

Which version of Spybot - Search & Destroy do you run?
Do you have installed the latest updates?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

mottoman
2007-04-24, 18:20
Hi Sandra,

Spybot 1.4 with the latest updates

md usa spybot fan
2007-04-24, 21:30
mottoman:

Since you were able to do a "Directories" scan of the same files after you copied them to a new location, it leads to me suspect that there may be a problem with the original folder (directory) that they were in.

I suggest that you run a Chkdsk ("chkdsk x: /r") to make sure that it isn't a file system error causing the problem.

For Windows XP Chkdsk see:
Chkdsk
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx

spybotsandra
2007-04-25, 18:48
Hello,

Some users have reported that they only had problems using the beta version but that the final version would work normally. Have you already tried the final version 1.4? (The reason why you don't see it in the integrated update is because we are still preparing an automatic upgrade process for the new version.) If you like, you can install it manually. Please uninstall the old version of Spybot-S&D before you install the new version:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Please don't forget to manually delete the "Updates" and "Includes" folders in the Spybot S&D program folder. You will find links to several download locations on our website. These mirrors are partners who provide places to host Spybot-S&D for us. You can download from one of them, it's secure: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Please search for new updates after installing Spybot-S&D 1.4.

Or are you using a computer with hyperthreading technology (Intel with HTT)? Spybot-S&D seems to have problems with this technology but we cannot confirm a general problem with HT technology because the software runs normally on our test systems.

One user has reported that turning off Norton Antivirus solved the problem. We are using Norton Antivirus, too, and haven't experienced any problems.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

mottoman
2007-05-01, 20:50
Hi Sandra,
I uninstalled Spybot then downloaded a new version and installed it, but the problem still persist's. I have used this hyperthreading p4 computer for the past three years without any problem with Spybot until a couple of week's ago, the only thing I can put it down to is the security updates I installed from microsoft's April updates, do you think that could be the cause?

Regards
mottoman.

md usa spybot fan
2007-05-01, 20:59
Did you try to run a Chkdsk?

mottoman
2007-05-02, 18:25
Hi md usa spybot fan,

Thanks for your sugestion, I have tried using chkdsk but it does not make any difference Spybot still closes down after 75% of the scan. I would appreciate any further suggestions.

Regards
mottoman

Buster
2007-05-03, 09:16
I would like to know, if this is caused by a specific .sbi file or not. To determine this, please switch to advanced mode, go to "settings" -> "file sets" and choose only one checkbox and run a scan. Please repeat this for each file set. Thanks in advance! :bigthumb:

mottoman
2007-05-03, 21:10
Hi Buster,

I tried your suggestion and below are the four files that cause the closedown.

Dialer.sbi
Malware.sbi
MalwareC.sbi
Spybots.sbi

Whether they are run individually or together they cause Spybot to close.

Regards
mottoman

mottoman
2007-05-31, 17:21
Since the last updates to Spybot (30/05/07) the problem I was experiencing has disappeared and Spybot now scans all the way through 100%. Just thought I would let everyone know and thank all those who tried to help.

Regards
mottoman