PDA

View Full Version : Spybot and Norton Security 2007 conflict

gnagler
2007-05-01, 11:22
Spybot news contains an article about Symantec suggests to disable Spybot S&D and Spybot users don't understand this.

When I installed Norton Security 2007 some days ago and today started an up-to-date Spybot S&D I got following security problems:

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisableNotify
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled

I wondered about these warnings and I assume that letting Spybot solve these "problems" would cause conflicts with Norton Security 2007, either it would disable Norton firewall/antivirus or two security packages would work same time and slow down performance.

So I did not fix the problems and searched for a Spybot "bug" solution and
only found the news article where Spybot can't imagine to be a security problem when Norton is running.

These warnings did not occur with Norton 2005 version used till some weeks ago, so it is probably a Spybot bug which is not caring about Norton 2007 existence.

If no known security program is caring about above issues then the messages
and fixes are good, but when other security software is running then it should not complain about not using Microsoft own ones.

The correct way should be to check if one of some trusted security software packages are installed and running correctly, same way as Spybot did for Microsoft Security Center above.

Spybot and Norton2007 are now also caring about similiar security problems (trojan, phishing ...) so I understand that Norton does not want any cooperation for coexistence.

Günter

mavchen
2007-05-02, 12:45
Hello,

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 has been detecting Security Risks (renamed to "Windows Security Center" on July 30) associated with Microsoft Security Center Registry changes. This is neither a false positive nor a bug. It is just an information.
Spybot-S&D only wants to bring to your attention that "someone" disabled one or more notifications in the Windows Security Center, e.g. the notifications that your virus protection is not active or not up-to-date. If you changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot-S&D to exclude those detections from further scans.
In order to do so please right-click each in turn, then click "exclude this detection from future scans". That way, should any other part of security center settings change, Spybot-S&D will still detect those.
The same is true if you have another security solution installed (like McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security). These programs do also disable the Windows Security Center in order to take care of things themselves.
The reason why the changes are flagged by Spybot-S&D is that there are also malware programs that disable the notifications so the user doesn't take note of his security tools not being effective.

Some more information is also available in this Thread:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=87