PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with Microsoft windows securitycenter_disabled

alex_hkthx
2007-05-02, 18:09
hi guys~ i am new here
Spybot S&D just found out that i 've

Microsoft.windows.securitycenter_disabled
Microsoft.windows.securitycenter.AntiVirus_disabled
Microsoft windows securitycenter.Firewall_disabled

this is a bad time that i 've seen

When I click to fix it
and started the NortonAV 2006 full screen again
it still has the same problem which is navw32.exe error
so I can't full screen the computer

So, can you guys find the solution to solve those spyware?

BigBodZod
2007-05-02, 18:18
I thought that both Norton and Mcafee have their own Security Centers that replace the Windows OS version.

So I'm thinking this is normal behavior as the registry entries for the Windows OS Security Center will show up as disabled and Spybot just shows you a warning.

I could be wrong about this, however, I'm sure somebody with more knowledge of this can clarify things for us both ;)

As for the nav32 file not running properly, this could indeed be an issue with malware or even that the file has somehow gotten corrupted and that NAV may need to be reinstalled.

md usa spybot fan
2007-05-03, 18:05
alex_hkthx:

As BigBodZod (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=17937) indicated, those detections are normal because by default NAV disables features of Windows Security Center and NAV 2006 (and NAV 2007) disables Windows Security Center itself.

The introduction of Windows Security Center was Microsoft's attempt to address customer concerns about security issues within their Windows operating system by monitoring the status of firewall and antivirus protection as well as the status of the automation of the Windows Update.

Soon after the introduction of Windows Security Center both McAfee and Symantec started disabling the Firewall and Virus Protection alert features within Windows Security Center and handling them within there own products (McAfee SecurityCenter and Norton Protection Center). This in itself did not necessarily weaken the security of the system that was introduced by Windows Security Center because both McAfee and Symantec were handling the alerts (as long as their products were actually running). However, disabling the Firewall and Virus Protection alert features within Windows Security Center does present two potential problems:
If McAfee SecurityCenter and Norton Protection Center are not running you will not get alerts from Windows Security Center.
Neither McAfee nor Symantec inform you that they have disable these alert features within Windows Security Center and to the best of my knowledge do not restore these alert features if you uninstall their product. This leaves you vulnerable to the security weaknesses that Windows Security Center was designed to alert you to.
When Spybot introduced their detections for irregularities in the Windows Security Center settings people running McAfee or Symantec products started getting the following detections:

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0
If you go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window.

There are three possible alerts:
Firewall
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
Automatic Updates
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
Virus Protection
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings
With the above detections you would find the first and third alerts unchecked.

Symantec apparently went one step further with the introduction their 2006 and 2007 product lines. Rather than just disable the Firewall and Virus Protection alert features within Windows Security Center, they now disable Windows Security Center itself so that it doesn't even start in your system. Again, to the best of my knowledge there is no notification to the user that has been done and to the best of my knowledge they do not restore the starting of Windows Security Center if you uninstall their product. The disabling of Windows Security Center causes the following Spybot detection:

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc\Start!=W=2
If you go to Start > Run > type "services.msc" (no quotes) in the Open box > and then click OK the windows Services application will start. If you scroll down in the right pane until you see Security Center and either double click on Security Center or right click on Security Center and choose Properties from the context menu, the Security Center Properties window will open. You will note that:
The Startup type is Disabled (it is normally Automatic).
The Services Status is Stopped (it is normally Started).

All that said, down to your problem with the detections themselves.

You essentially have three options:
Leave everything as is and just ignore the detections when you get them during a Spybot "Check for problems".
Restore the functionality of Windows Security Center as follows:
Open Norton Protection Center.
Click Options.
Check "Show messages from Windows Security Center", then click OK.
Permanently ignore the detections within Spybot so that a "Check for problems" does not check for disabled Windows Security Center features. To exclude these items from future detections:
Run another scan.
Expand the detection if necessary (+ to the left of the detection).
Select the item (entry) that you want to exclude by left clicking on it to highlight it.
Then right click on highlighted detection.
Select either of the following from the list of options in the menu.
Exclude this detection from further searches
Exclude this product from further searches
In other words left click to select then right click to display options. If you don't select (highlight) the item first the options menu is for the entire detection list.

Since the Windows Security Center detections have been separated into individual "Products" to facilitate exclusion, you can also go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > settings > Ignore products > in either the All products or Security.sbi tab and check the following Windows Security Center detections:
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisableNotify
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled
Note: If you can't see the full name of the product, expand the Product column of the screen by placing the cursor in the column title bar between the Product and Detail columns until the column separator move symbol appears (cross with arrow heads pointing left and right), press and hold the left mouse button and drag the column separator to the right.