PDA

View Full Version : PC Slowing Down AFTER running spybot?

zachgef
2007-05-03, 07:34
Hi All,

First post here. I searched, but couldn't find answers to this particular problem. I was on a computer clean-up binge, and ran spybot (after updating it) for the first time in about two months. It found about 30 problems, in about 10 categories, and cleaned them out. It then informed me that 2 of the problems could not be fixed, and asked if it would be OK to run spybot again at the next start-up. Naturally, I said "yes" (I did not pay attention to what the problems were). I re-booted, and the reboot was incredibly slow. Eventually, the screen showed spybot running, so I attributed the slow boot to that. SB then said it found two problems (I assume the same two), and I elected to delete them. The boot up continued, but the computer would not network and ran incredibly slowly. So I re-booted again. Again it was incredibly slow, with no networking, no sound (except beeps), and no real functionlity. Several reboots result in the same thing. This isn't even safe mode -- more just "lame" mode. The computer runs on Windows XP.

This all happened late in the day, and I had to get home, so I gave up. Now I am thinking of running "recovery" tomorrow morning.

Any advice? Is "recovery" a good first attempt at solving this?

Thanks,

Zach

Yodama
2007-05-03, 09:48
hello Zach,

Spybot S&D stores logfiles of each scan and fix, they can be found within Spybot when you enter "advanced mode" , go to "tools" then "view report" and "view previous reports".

Pick the logs with the dates matching your scan and fix which resulted in the described issues and "export" them.

With the logs we will be able to determine what has been found and fixed and analyse this issue.

zachgef
2007-05-03, 15:35
Thanks! I'll try that when I get to the office. Since the computer won't network, I'll try to export the logs to a disk, so I can post them from another computer. I'm not very computer savvy, but I'll do my best...

zachgef
2007-05-04, 01:26
OK, it took forever, but I was able to download the logs to a portable zip drive. Not sure of the ettiquette -- do I cut and past them here, or is there someplace I upload them to?

Meanwhile, I tried doing a recovery, but that didn't help. I found my Windows XP disc and am contemplating running it un "update" mode to see if that fixes the problem (I'm figuring some key files or kernels were deleted, and maybe they'd get replaced in the process. But, then again, I really don't know what I'm doing:sad: ).

Z