PDA

View Full Version : Connectivity Issues- Possible MalWare?

Slinky
2007-05-04, 03:08
Hello! I recently picked up Vundo on one of the machines here on our network- around the same time, we started being unable to connect to various websites. Vundo's gone from the machine that picked it up now, thanks to this forum, but the connectivity issues persist. Plenty of websites function- myspace & youtube- but several don't. This forum, mcaffee, and other security sites are notably included. Random sites will also go out for days at a time- google spreadsheets, Java API docs, etc. Spybot & Adaware are coming up clean in & out of safe mode on all machines, including the one that picked up Vundo. I cannot connect to housecall or etrust to run them, but avast and AVG are coming up clean. Out of the 24 computers on our network, only one is unaffected by the issues. I've included a HiJack This! report from the computer that was originally affected by Vundo.

If you guys could help me figure out if this is a malware problem or a configuration problem, I'd really appreciate it. I'm sorry I haven't yet been able to run an online virus scanner- if there's anything else I can do to solve this problem, let me know.

Log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:46:03 PM, on 5/3/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\ngctw32.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smtray.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Scanner\Scanner.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Smapp] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NGClient] C:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\ngctw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] %SystemRoot%\system32\mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -clientconfig cas -clientapp caserver.exe -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Eeut] "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\MYDOCU~1\SMANTE~1\csrss.exe" -vt yazb
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1176741505000
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - c:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Ghost Win32 Client Agent (NGClient) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\ngctw32.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

pskelley
2007-05-18, 23:27
Welcome to Safer Networking, if you still need help and are not receiving it elsewhere, it appears you have missed some important instructions our administrator has posted at the top of the forum, especially this: "BEFORE you POST" Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
All advice given is taken at your own risk.Please read and follow all instructions and post all required logs or reports, anything less will slow your process.
Use "Post Reply" to post the information in the instructions and stay in the same topic.

If you have waited FOUR days for advice post here. http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1137

With that many computer, this must be a work situation?

The malware removal forum is set up to help those in need of assistance with their personal computers. This service is free and provided by volunteers.
We realise on occasion a business where staff are trained to remove malware need a second opinion. In that case please state that up-front and note the steps already taken. Our volunteers appreciate that.I wonder if this should be something your IT people address.

I apologize that no one responded to you, but the link for posting if four days go by is supposed to catch those folks.

I do see malware in this HJT log and I also see this:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000031316555206
"Microsoft recommends that you have only one anti-virus program installed on your computer."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/03/AR2005120300087.html
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2003/s1407/38s07/38s07.asp+

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\

I see no evidence of Vundo in the HJT log and note that HJT was renamed. It is always possible the infection is hidden, which is the reason for the required antivirus scan in the "Before you post" instructions.

Thanks

tashi
2007-05-23, 08:02
This topic has been archived.

If you need it re-opened, please send me a private message (pm) and provide a link to the thread.

Applies only to the original poster, anyone else with similar problems please start a new topic.