PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.4 won't start up. js3250.dll not found.

justjeff
2005-12-30, 13:30
I was using version 1.3 and decided to upgrade to version 1.4.
I uninstalled 1.3 and installed 1.4. The box was checked to run spybot after installation but I had a dialog box pop up.

Title bar says: Unable to locate component
Message: This application has failed to start because js3250.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I couldn't close the dialog box by clicking the ok button. It just keeps coming back. I have to go to the task manager and stop the spybot program in order to close the box out.

I searched for the dll file and it shows up in this directory:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org\GRE\1.4f_2003062408

It is there and isn't in a zip file. It's there along with other dll files. This is the only instance js3250.dll shows up when I searched my computer.

My browser is Netscape version 7.1. So I decided to unintall 1.4 and reinstalled 1.3. Spybot 1.3 works fine. Scans, downloads updates, etc.

Help would be greatly appreciated. :)

tashi
2005-12-30, 15:01
Hi there.
Info on dll:
Name: js3250.dll
Publisher: Mozilla
Category: Application
Version Number: 4.0.0.0
Description: Included with Firefox
Netscape 32-bit JavaScript

What is your Operating System please and also what other security programs are installed. :)

justjeff
2005-12-31, 00:38
Hi there.
Info on dll:
Name: js3250.dll
Publisher: Mozilla
Category: Application
Version Number: 4.0.0.0
Description: Included with Firefox
Netscape 32-bit JavaScript

What is your Operating System please and also what other security programs are installed. :)
Windows XP Home Edition SP2. Right now the I have the windows firewall that comes with service pack 2 but I just recently installed sp2 AFTER I had upgraded Spybot to version 1.4.

Why would Spybot be dependent on a javascript dynamic link library in order to run. I mean that's what the error seems to be saying. Like I said I never encountered this in Spybot 1.3 before.

tashi
2005-12-31, 01:44
Windows XP Home Edition SP2. Right now the I have the windows firewall that comes with service pack 2 but I just recently installed sp2 AFTER I had upgraded Spybot to version 1.4.
Hello.
I may ask someone to take a look at this topic but first, a little more information please.

Do you have only the XP firewall in addition to Spybot-S&D for security? You do not mention an Anti-Virus program.

Also what security programs did you have on the system before you upgraded to SP2?

This is important because SP2 should only be installed on a computer that is known to be totally free of malware.

I do not recommend XP's firewall as it prevents traffic one way only although certainly it is better than nothing.

Please provide a log so we can take a look at the system.

Open SpyBot, check for and get any updates available, close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found. Then on the toolbar menu select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools, and view report.

Select (near the top) view report.
Press export in the save in box choose a place such as your my documents folder, then in your next post near the bottom select the "browse" button; navigate to and attach or post that report please.

justjeff
2005-12-31, 02:31
Yes I only have the firewall. I use AVG for my antivirus.

A few days prior to updating Spybot I had used Panda Softwares active scan online to check my computer and it came up clean. I also use AdAware regularly.

Like I said I did scan with Panda's active scan, Spybot with updated files, Adaware, and AVG prior to upgrading to SP2. The only things which showed up on Adaware and Spybot were tracking cookies aside from mini bug references which is linked to my Mini Bug weather program which sits in my taskbar. I've never removed them because I think the program wouldn't run correctly anymore if I did.

Before I upgraded to SP2 I don't think I had a firewall. If there was one packaged with the Windows XP before the updgrade to SP2 I would have been using that one.

tashi
2005-12-31, 02:56
Thank you. I will ask someone to take a look at this thread and see if they can shed some light on the problem. :)

justjeff
2006-01-05, 13:55
Thank you. I will ask someone to take a look at this thread and see if they can shed some light on the problem. :)
Any word yet?

rene
2006-01-11, 15:23
Hello justjeff,

Spybot S&D does definitly not depend on that library. And we donīt know why you have that problem. Where have downloaded your copy of Spybot S&D 1.4? Please tell us and try another location which you find on our official download page: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

rene

bitman
2006-01-11, 16:55
js3250.dll is known to create this error message if the dll isn't properly registered.

I noticed in your Spybot log that Netscape was running, did you close Netscape when you ran the scan?

If Spybot still generates the error with Netscape closed, I'd guess that the initial tests Spybot performs during startup are checking various support dlls and when it tests this dll it generates the error.

justjeff
2006-01-13, 12:15
Hello justjeff,

Spybot S&D does definitly not depend on that library. And we donīt know why you have that problem. Where have downloaded your copy of Spybot S&D 1.4? Please tell us and try another location which you find on our official download page: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

reneI used a link found on your download page. I thought at first maybe it was a bad download so I tried a different download site and the same thing occurred.

justjeff
2006-01-13, 12:19
js3250.dll is known to create this error message if the dll isn't properly registered.

I noticed in your Spybot log that Netscape was running, did you close Netscape when you ran the scan?

If Spybot still generates the error with Netscape closed, I'd guess that the initial tests Spybot performs during startup are checking various support dlls and when it tests this dll it generates the error.Yes I did have Netscape running at the time. I don't have the quick start option in my taskbar active ever. I did try it when Netscape wasn't running but I still kept receiving the error.
What exactly were you referring to when you mentioned "if the dll isn't properly registered"? I'm guessing that I can't just go and delete the dll file because it must be needed for some reason if Netscape packages it with the download right?
Any thoughts or suggestions as to what to do now? I guess I can just keep using version 1.3 since I don't have any problems scanning or downloading updates if you are out of ideas.