PDA

View Full Version : TeaTimer white list problem

Maven
2007-05-09, 17:27
Hi,

I used the System Startup Tool to disable a System Tray button for a backup program that I wasn't using. TeaTimer detected this change and I picked "Allow" and "Remember". Subsequently, I uninstalled the backup program. That System Startup registry entry for the system tray "button" is now deleted, but TeaTimer is still showing the White List entry notice for the change to the old missing registry entry every time that I boot up. I find this to be very annoying.

Is there any way to delete this specific entry from the White List? If not, is there still a program to re-set the Black and/or White Lists for TeaTimer? I would be willing to do this to get rid of this un-needed notice. TIA for any assistance.

---
Maven

md usa spybot fan
2007-05-09, 18:20
The cause of the problem could be because TeaTimer's snapshot files are out of sync with the registry. TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshots were taken.

This is speculation, but I believe this behavior is because of the following:
It appears that when TeaTimer starts the snapshot files are read into memory and maintained there. The snapshot files only appear to be rewritten when TeaTimer closes. During system shutdown (or restart) it appears that TeaTimer is terminated before it has a chance to rewrite the snapshot files.
The solution to the problem is to refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files if you are getting repetitive messages a system startup. There are two ways to do that:Refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Manually exit TeaTimer immediately prior to system shutdown or restart.

Note: You can remove the "White List" entry after you have refreshed TeaTimer's snapshot files.

When you check "Remember this decision" on a change the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" changes. To edit this information:Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":
[LIST]
Allowed processes
Blocked processes
Allowed registry changes
Blocked registry changes

Note: If you don't see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

You can review all the entries that you have stored by clicking on these buttons. The entries that you should review are in "Allowed registry changes". You can delete the entry by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done.

Maven
2007-05-09, 22:23
Dear Spybot Fan,

Thanks for your clear and thorough explanation. The problem is solved and I'm happy to see the last of that pesky window. I appreciate your help.
:cool:

---
Maven

md usa spybot fan
2007-05-09, 22:42
Maven:

I'm glad that I was able to help you resolve the problem.

It appears that the problem with the refreshing Refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files has been resolved in the latest beta version of TeaTimer 1.5. If you would like to try this version of ßTeaTimer 1.5 you can download and install it as follows:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings.
Page down the option tree until you see a section titled "Web update" (just past half way down).
In the "Web update" section check the following option:
Display available beta versions.
Click Spybot-S&D (left pane).
Click Search for Updates (right pane).
When the list of available updates appears, check the following item:
ßTeaTimer 1.5 - !Resident protection update (1 MB) - 2007-02-14
Click Download Updates.

Maven
2007-05-10, 20:28
Hello,

I went ahead and downloaded the Beta. I guess I'm a little more experimental than I used to be. After patching Teatimer to adjust the text position in the permission windows, I guess nothing scares me. Thanks again for your advice and assistance.

---
Maven