PDA

View Full Version : Can't Update!

rain2fall
2005-12-31, 04:46
Help! Spybot S&D 1.3 will not update. Since October 2005, I go to the update server, download, and receive a message "bad checksum."

How do I update Spybot S&D?

Rain

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-31, 05:54
For Bad Checksum errors see:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=345&postcount=2

Also see:
When updating, why do I get an error message that the "update is forbidden" / "bad checksum!!!"?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/20.html

And:
How to update the program to the newest version
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html

If you are unable to get the updates using the integrated update facility, you can manually download and execute an update file from safer-networking.org:
Downloads – Home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Detection updates 2005-12-30 - product description
md5: C58247615DA0F6495FC2FF521FF8DE79

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

The direct link is:
http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe
This manual update file is updated around the same time that the updates are made available via the integrated update facility. The description changes on the download page but the download url remains constant.

If you are not running Spybor-S&D on a Windows 95 system, you should upgrade to Spybot 1.4

There are four (4) download sites for Spybot-S&D 1.4 here:
Mirror Selection – The home of Spybot–S&D!
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.3: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
How to uninstall?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.htmlInstall Spybot-S&D 1.4:
Execute spybotsd14.exe download above.
Do not change the default installation path of:C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Make sure that you update Sptbot-S&D 1.4 before running a scan.

caterwaul
2006-01-03, 03:52
This post suggests the following: "If you are not running Spybor-S&D on a Windows 95 system, you should upgrade to Spybot 1.4"

Just one issue regarding this, I have not done this because I use the Teatimer and the SpyBot ver 1.4 has not "officially" fixed this problem.

I understand there is a "provisory solution to fix the problem" that has been posted in this forum, but at the same time it is a very long thread with many problems posted as far as getting this done successfully.

Also the image shows the "fixed" buttons that does not have English as the language on the buttons. I have no idea whether the fix will use my default language or not as this was not addressed in the original post or any other posts in the thread for the first few pages.

As a result I prefer to wait until these issues I have logged above are addressed before I act on the suggestion to upgrade to SpyBot Ver 1.4. As a result I am hopeful that updates will continue to work (even if one has to check multiple servers to do so) for SpyBot Ver 1.3 and that updates will not be subject to version upgrades.

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-03, 06:26
caterwaul:

The fixes move the position of the "Remember this decision" button, they do not alter the language. The language will be the same as the language that SpybotSD.exe is set to.

Without any fixes applied you can use the keyboard to substitute for the buttons that are overlaid.

In English - press "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change".

What is your native language?

caterwaul
2006-01-08, 15:40
^ Thanks for your reply. My language is English and on the this topic I kind of assumed that it might take what ever language you were using, but since the example shows another language and the post did not specifically address this I could not be absolutely sure. It is possible of course that the "unofficial fix" was a patch that did not use the language setting after all as well. The reason I posted my reply in the first place is to clarify for those who might be using TeaTimer and would run into this problem unknowingly. Also to express my opinion that in my case I tend to prefer to wait until SpyBot supplies an "official" fix to the problem before I upgrade. But this is of course my personal choice. But again I think it fair to warn users of the problem for the sake of TeaTimer users when suggesting to upgrade to Ver 1.4.

I was wondering why so many replies in this forum to posts about the checksum error advise to upgrade to ver 1.4. Does this fix the server problem when trying to download? If not then why is the advise to upgrade to ver 1.4 so prevelant in replies to this problem? I personally prefer to wait on major upgrades to any kind of software until invariable bugs with upgrades are dealt with. For example in regards to my AV software I have waited and avoid a lot of headaches while bugs are addressed and will upgrade when I consider the upgrade stable for the most part.

As you know sometimes "official" fixes can cause other unintended problems. :thud: Which is why I tend to wait and make sure that no other issues raise their ugly head :( until I upgrade. :bigthumb: This is one reason these forums are so very valuable in that they serve the users so very well in offering the opportunity to know how ugrades are performing. :D

I might add that this forum has software problems as well, btw. I have had issues where my login (I know is correct) not recognized and then my email not recognized as well when I try to send my userid/password that I already know is right. I have simply re-registered to fix this problem. But beyond that for example on this specific post I clicked the "preview" button to preview the post and I recieved a reply telling me that I was posting to an "invalid thread" and was given a login window to login in even though I had the "Welcome" with my user id in top right corner of the window showing that I was logged in. I then went to repost this reply and found that it was already posted so the "invalid thread" was actually invalid. I would have posted another (happy face) icon here but now notice that this is not available on "edits" apparently (maybe another issue) :)

bitman
2006-01-08, 20:31
Checksum error messages aren't solved by upgrading to Spybot S&D 1.4, but they are generally much reduced. As you already know, the issue is with some update servers, especially the first one on the list. Since earlier versions of Spybot S&D always use this server by default, it is always heavily loaded and thus likely to give you an error.

1.4 instead uses a random server for each download attempt, meaning there's a higher likelyhood of some other server being selected and thus a sucessful download. 1.4 also fixed several known issues in 1.3 and is the only version that can truly take advantage of many of the newer detections created over the last year.

The question of the TeaTimer fix is part of a larger issue which you hint at. For my take on this subject, see my post in the TeaTimer thread at this link.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=5425#post5425

As for forum issues, some of this sounds like problems with the old NI forums during and after the recent problems. However, I've experienced some posting issues here, though not quite as severe as your's seem. I've learned that when it logs me out during a post, I can simply click 'Preview Post' and log back in, so I always use that button first and then submit once I'm sure I'm logged in. The Edit function just seems to work that way, not the same as an original post.

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-08, 20:55
I was wondering why so many replies in this forum to posts about the checksum error advise to upgrade to ver 1.4. Does this fix the server problem when trying to download? If not then why is the advise to upgrade to ver 1.4 so prevelant in replies to this problem?
Spybot 1.4 does not "… fix the server problem when trying to download …", however it mitigates it to some respect. In Spybot 1.3 the first server was always selected as the default server and therefore that placed the heaviest load on that server. Spybot 1.4 randomly selects the default server. When people indicate that they can never get updates I assume that the odds are that they are running Spybot 1.3.

Spybot 1.3 has scanning bugs that terminate the scan under certain conditions. There bugs were fixed in Spybot 1.4. It also appears that malware removal techniques some of the detections are improved since some people who report that they are unable to "fix" certain problems with Spybot 1.3 are successful after upgrading to Spybot 1.4.

caterwaul
2006-02-18, 18:30
bitman wrote:

I've learned that when it logs me out during a post, I can simply click 'Preview Post' and log back in, so I always use that button first and then submit once I'm sure I'm logged in. The Edit function just seems to work that way, not the same as an original post.

Thanks for the suggestion, however when I tried this (in the past) I got the same response that I was "not logged in". I am pleased to find however that this current session today (02/18/06) has given me no problems, however.

I had similar problems with another forum for many months after which all the problems mysteriously went away. Maybe this is the case at this forum as well. :D