PDA

View Full Version : Smitfraud

PetoskeyBill
2007-05-19, 06:48
This might be a stupid question, but why is this so difficult to remove? I've used SmitFraudfix.exe, spybot, adaware, windows defender and nothing consistently detects or removes it.You folks would be heros if Spybot could find AND remove it!

miekiemoes
2007-05-19, 19:14
You folks would be heros if Spybot could find AND remove it!Unfortunately, nowadays malware isn't the same as a couple of years ago. Even the best scanners are able to flag a file as infected, but removing will fail, this because some infections are really stubborn and only advantage tools and methods can get rid of it.
So if you need help, I really need more information, so do next:

Download a copy of HJTsetup.exe from here (http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe) and save it to your Desktop. Double click HJTsetup.exe to begin installation.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the prompts from there.
When HJT opens, click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button.
When HJT has finished scanning, a window entitled "hijackthis.log" will open - when you close this window the log will be saved into the hijackthis folder.
Copy and paste this into your next reply.

PetoskeyBill
2007-05-21, 04:01
My infection was on a new install (I screwed up early and BAD :mad:). I did a complete reinstall of my OS. But I first downloaded and installed Spybot (of course!), Spywareblaster, AVG Antivirus and made sure my SMC Barricade router was configured properly BEFORE I even connected to the internet. Keep up the invaluable work you folks do!:bigthumb:

miekiemoes
2007-05-21, 07:47
Thanks for the feedback. Just make sure this won't happen again, so read my Prevention page (http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/prevention.html) with lots of info and tips how to prevent this in the future.

Happy Surfing again!