PDA

View Full Version : Windows security alert

gb72uk
2007-05-19, 17:02
Hello there

Long time user of spybot search and destroy and just now while Trying to re install the program ..... It came up with a Windows warning saying something along the lines of

**this program could be harmful**

Now this is the first time ive come across such a message anyone care to explain why this may be happening?

Zenobia
2007-05-20, 01:30
Do you get that when you're downloading spybotsd14.exe?Is it a window with a title something like...File Download-Security Warning?
And then at the bottom something along the lines of...'While files from the Internet can be useful,this file type can potentially harm your computer.If you do not trust the source,do not run or save this software.'

gb72uk
2007-05-20, 17:36
I got sum Security warning when i actually went to Install it not when i was downloading it - just seemed a bit strange

Its re-installed ok ........ just wondered if there may have been a bug that windows XP wasnt happy about :scratch:

Zenobia
2007-05-21, 00:56
I cannot think what that may be offhand.It would be better with a few more details,maybe I'll think of it.Was it the Windows Security alert thing with the red X down in the system tray?Can you remember exactly what the alert said?

gb72uk
2007-05-21, 02:20
Cant remember offhand But it was a Box with The red/blue/green/yellow shield ...... Like i say i think it was just XP playing up

Zenobia
2007-05-21, 09:00
Could be.A Red/blue/green/yellow shield sort of sounds like Windows Firewall,maybe.Would look similar to this:
http://www.microsoft.com/library/media/1033/windowsxp/images/using/setup/hwprograms/unblock-fax-console.jpg

Fixer
2007-05-21, 10:45
It may be that the download has been compromised. I went to download updates from the European Server (2 or 3 - I forget which) this morning and I got a bad checksum notification on each.

The USA server seems to be fine. So if in doubt, do not install using a european copy - if all copies are bad then its probably a matter of the software not being digitally signed.