PDA

View Full Version : Installation Error Message

bluemoontg
2006-01-01, 13:16
I deleted spybot a few days ago and have just tried to download and install it again.
The download was fine (saved to desktop). When I try to install I get the following message
Error creating registry key:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.disabled
RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5
Access is denied

I run norton anti virus and webroot spysweeper

can you help me solve my problem

Thanks

bluemoontg
2006-01-02, 19:11
I managed to solve my own problem.
When my computer was originally attacked by spyware I opened a new account with admin rights and gave the original account user rights only. I originally downloaded all the spyware removal utilities on to the new account.
Any way to cut a long story short I managed to salvage my original account and give it admin rights again.
I have put spybot sd in to a shared file and both accounts now seem to be able to use it.

So n need for help now

thanks

TrekBrew
2007-03-17, 17:35
In my situation I have a Windows XP Home installation with two user accounts with administrator rights. S&D is installed for one user but I am unable to install for the second user. I recieve the registry errors you described. I have attached the first three error messages I received before I aborted the installation.

Any suggestions on how a Windows XP dual user S&D installation should be performed?

md usa spybot fan
2007-03-17, 18:04
TrekBrew:

Don't try to install it a second time, just try to use it:
Start > All Programs > Spybot - Search & Destroy > Spybot - Search & Destroy

TrekBrew
2007-03-18, 15:59
Thanks for the response.

I thought would be the idea as well yet there is no Search and Destroy program group on the second user. Perhaps the installation didn't function correctly or perhaps I didn't respond correctly to a user prompt during the installation process.

Comments or suggestions? :scratch:

Thanks

md usa spybot fan
2007-03-18, 16:52
Truthfully I don’t know what the current status of your Spybot - Search & Destroy is because of the failed second installation attempt.

After installing Spybot - Search & Destroy, normally all you should have to do for a second Computer administrator user account is add Spybot - Search & Destroy to the startup menu or a shortcut to the desktop or other cosmetic changes to make access easier for the user.

TrekBrew
2007-03-18, 18:56
Thanks, I will uninstall and re-install and let you know.

TrekBrew
2007-03-18, 19:41
I was able to uninstall and sucessfully install S&D but only if I did not select "Check for updates" durin installation. When I selecte this option I still received the registry errors. I installed S&D and then checked for updates. At this time it appears S&D with Tea Timer is working OK for both users.

Thanks for the feedback. Over and out. :D: