PDA

View Full Version : "Spybotsd has caused an error in ADVCHECK.DLL"

fred2
2007-05-22, 22:30
"Spybotsd has caused an error in ADVCHECK.DLL Spybotsd will now close". "Running bot-check (63654/67809: Zlob.VideoAXObject)". Using Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4, last detection up date: 2007-05-16.

How do I solve this problem please? I also had the same problem before I did the latest update.

I checked advcheck.dll. It is 618KB, 623KB on disk, and was created 13 May 2007. It is version 1.5.1.0. However, in the Updates folder on my computer there is a advcheck152.zip (also advcheck151.zip and advcheck.zip), but this advcheck152.zip only contains a version of advcheck called 1.5.1.0 (not 1.5.2.0 as I would have expected). Is this a mistake please?

I'm sorry to say, but it has been many months or years since Spybot has completed a scan without 'sticking'.

I have WinMe.

Before running Spybot I scanned with AVG aniti-virus, Ad-Aware, and SuperAntiSpyware (all the free editions) and nothing was found except a tracking cookie.

Thanks

chi-va
2007-05-23, 14:19
We have detected a problem in the current advcheck.dll. There will be an update today if we make it in time or next week.

Thank you very much for the report.

md usa spybot fan
2007-05-23, 15:32
fred2:

The 2007-05-23 Spybot-S&D updates contains a beta version of the advcheck.dll file. I assume that this is the to correct the problem that chi-va (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=9) referred to. If you would like to see if the beta version of the advcheck.dll corrects you problem, you can download the file as follows:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings.
Page down the option tree until you see a section titled "Web update" (just past half way down).
In the "Web update" section check the following option:
Display available beta versions.
Click Spybot-S&D (left pane).
Click Search for Updates (right pane).
When the list of available updates appears, check the following item:
ßAdvanced detection library 1.5.3 - !Advanced detection routines update (336 KB) - 2007-05-23
Click Download Updates.
Note: If download the beta advcheck.dll file, SpybotSD.exe will terminate and restart after the file is received so the advcheck.dll is loaded into the program.

Peter Pan
2007-06-01, 07:58
fred2:

The 2007-05-23 Spybot-S&D updates contains a beta version of the advcheck.dll file. I assume that this is the to correct the problem that chi-va (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=9) referred to.
Note: If download the beta advcheck.dll file, SpybotSD.exe will terminate and restart after the file is received so the advcheck.dll is loaded into the program.

Hi Great Advisor,
it solves the issue I reported (aborted scan and automatic exit) and I worked around by replacing advcheck.dll version 1.52 by previous version 1.51.
Just for your information, after download, Spybot SD didn't terminate and restart by itselft. I had to quit and restart the program by myself.

Thanks and best regards.

fred2
2007-06-01, 13:23
As I reported elsewhere, the latest downloads have solved all problems and I've had a scan completed in full without any error messages - the first time its done that in years.