PDA

View Full Version : threat descriptions survey

Buster
2007-05-25, 09:48
Do you read the threat descriptions included in Spybot on the search results screen?

Argus
2007-06-02, 04:07
Although I voted for "only useful sometimes", I wouldn't want them not to be there. I think it's a great feature. :bigthumb:

SpySentinel
2007-06-04, 01:06
I would like to see more descriptions, especially in TeaTimer alerts.

rinfrance
2007-07-03, 11:27
I only voted sometimes,'cos being self taught I wasnt listening when I was informed something! Does that make me a lousy teacher or a bad student! mmm.

melkel
2007-07-08, 02:35
Do you read the threat descriptions included in Spybot on the search results screen?

I voted very useful:angel: I study them, I memorize them, I trace the buggers in the system search and learn their ways:banana: When they rear their ugly heads in other anti spyware progs, I kill them with full knowlege of the consequences. Spybot S&D is the master ninja. May the force be with you!

I have also learned what S&D leaves alone and can guess why, because reg cure and xoftspy did a great job at dicing my system into ribbons (thank goodness for restore options).

It is a learning process and S&D and AVG have been the most informative professors...:bow::bow::wub::flowers:

Luiz Cireno
2007-08-16, 04:24
Although I voted for "only useful sometimes", I wouldn't want them not to be there. I think it's a great feature. :bigthumb:

Make your words mine.

hampster
2007-09-10, 20:42
The thing about them is that the entries are so long, I can't always read the whole path. That is what makes them less useful.

eaglehorse
2007-11-25, 15:35
They are a great feature especially if you nnne to search for a particular nastie.

honda12
2007-12-18, 23:01
I only use it sometimes, but i still consider the feature to be essential, as education is the key!

Honda :)

57Marks
2007-12-20, 02:08
I think they are only sometimes useful. ;)

K-Rock
2007-12-26, 18:48
I like them, would like to see them updated more. A lot don't have anything and more barely have any info at all.

Teesa
2008-01-31, 22:25
Not quite accurate, they're MORE than sometimes useful.

I read them to see where the narsties are and their names. I make notes of them and check to make sure there's no folders on my puter or leftover files.

I agree that they're not always useful as sometimes they are too long to be able to read. I learned to make the Spybot window smaller, drag it to the left and then click the right edge of the window to make it as long as possible.

You can also right-click in the window and "Copy full report to clipboard".

AudioWave80
2008-02-03, 15:12
anyone else think that the tea timer is a resource hog? i stopped using that things years ago. as for spybot iut is unrivaled at what it does i gotta admit. ^^

apeman87
2008-02-07, 18:01
I not sure if it just that some of the info is lacking due to translation or what but for the most part they are very useful.

urrguru
2008-02-10, 05:16
I couldn't sleep w/o them. They're the best feature in S&D.

Alan_B
2008-03-26, 12:18
I think they are useful. Pity they have disappeared from the latest version of Spybot.

Buster
2008-03-27, 09:02
What do you mean by "they have disappeared"? They are still available in the current version. Just hit one of the two blue arrows on the right to open the description tab.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-27, 13:59
Buster:

Alan_B (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=38178) has a another thread on the subject here:
Bug? No threat information.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=26049

swencro
2008-05-01, 15:43
I´ve answered that descriptions are only sometimes useful...

sehnbadt
2008-06-04, 21:05
I find them useful when I get the chance to view them as Spybot almost never catches a :spider: my system is well protected :2thumb:

gmb283
2008-06-06, 19:52
Just getting started with Spybot. I still have to find them.

gmb283
2008-06-06, 19:55
I'm anxious to find out more about them.

drragostea
2008-06-07, 01:59
The entry information will vary depending on the found issue.

Nice to see another Spybot-SD member. :cowboy:

DarkSoldierX
2008-06-11, 18:42
Sometimes useful, some of them dont have descriptions

sibidigua
2008-06-15, 13:13
I voted for "only useful sometimes" but. I think it is a important feature. :2thumb:

Urbane.Tiger
2008-06-20, 02:56
I voted yes and they are useful, but what I think I meant is yes and the they are interesting - they don't get me a beer or cook my dinner.

normanishmael
2008-07-11, 08:39
I do,but I have to admit I enjoy the security aspect of the computer game more than allmost any other area.
The problem is many people just want to feel protected so they are able to go about their gaming,or surfing or work without worry.
Their attitude is similar to the old farmer who"s Doctor asked him "do you understand the treatment plan we are working out for you?"
The olds Macho replied "hell,Doc as long as you you understand it."
There are computer types like that,and there are the get a second oppion,join a suport group,google it a thousand times types.
As a charter member of the second set,I LOVE the feature!

Lion7718
2008-07-16, 20:25
I used to..but I don't like the way it is setup now..with the gap between the entries..Spybot 1.6

JainaSolo
2008-07-26, 01:07
I'm still learning to use Spybot S&D, but this is a cool feature I'm going to have to take a look at. I like knowing something about whatever it finds besides just "whatever.trojan" or "blah.worm" I know what those are, but detail is good- what it does, how much of a threat it is (tracking cookie versus, say, Vundo)

drragostea
2008-07-26, 03:24
Do you mean like the 'rating' of the entry? Tracking cookies are basically harmless, although they can become a irritation. Spybot-Search&Destory does not currently offer the 'level rating' feature.

However, you can find out what Spybot searches for during a scan.

one eyed rider
2008-09-23, 03:21
my system is scanned so often with spybot and 2 a/v 3 times a wk. barely anything gets through cept through my own naivety. i use threatfire, avg and spybot. the descriptions are good but not as comprehensive or in depth as threatexpert/threatfire

apothecare
2008-10-07, 06:28
The thing about them is that the entries are so long, I can't always read the whole path. That is what makes them less useful.

Yes!

Often the dialogue window pops up asking if I want to accept or deny a
particular change and the path isn't completely shown and the name of the
application attempting to make the change isn't shown, so it's hard to decide which answer to give

In addition, the Info box has NEVER shown me any information about the file in question, after years of using Spybot...is it the vestige of some earlier feature that didn't make the cut?

xRDVx
2009-05-29, 19:08
I don't really think the description is a vetige of an earlier feature, or even the pup ups... The pup ups are maybe small... but the descriptions, are pretty informative... but they are not usefull at all, just interesting :P

So, my vote is Yes, and they are usefull, but really... i don't think why we could find that usefull, as far as we don't start looking by ourselves for those spywares, or even contacting the company that develope them... it is just informative, and when i don't find that, I try to look on the english description that likely have it.

Anyway, and stop talking about it... It just need to be continued, and I like it.

Richard FDisk
2009-08-18, 10:44
90+% of the time the box says:

- "No information available"

they're usually useful when there's something in the box
except when it tells me a change I made to the system could be caused by an infection.
I always remove the stuff I don't use from the Start Menu Through the "Taskbar & Start Menu" Properties dialog and GPEdit.msc.

ie. I compress my XP Start Menu to:
> Run

and my 2k Start Menu to: (basically the same)
> Run