PDA

View Full Version : Local Machine Lockdown

alduane
2007-06-03, 17:52
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I have seen this described as a false positive so I decided on this forum. I realize that this issue has been addressed before, but my particular experience hasn't as far as I know. I had been having a problem of my computer not appearing on my home LAN, even on my own computer. After trying every "fix" I could think of I had pretty much given up, except for a complete reinstall. The other day I decided it was time to check for an update to SpyBot and ran a full scan. The results showed something I hadn't seen before.

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe!=W=1
This setting was 0 on my machine.
I tried to find some information, but nothing seemed to exactly fit, so I had SpyBot fix it. After the fix, the network was back working and everything was fine. Seemed strange that a 0 would shut my machine down completely on the LAN, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience.
Thanks to SpyBot for fixing an "unfixable" problem no matter what the reason.:D: