PDA

View Full Version : I can't remove information about which sites I have visited in the address bar.

chdchd
2006-01-05, 13:51
How can I remove the sites that I have visited listed in the address bar of IE? I have emptied the history folder and run the search and destroy program but some of the sites are still present in the address bar.

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-05, 16:01
In Internet Explorer the Internet History and Typed URLs are stored separately. Typed URLs are stored in the system registry.

To clear Typed URLs try the following:

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > File Sets. Check the last two Items (Usage Tracking and Tracks.uti) and run a scan (Check for problems). When the scan completes there should be a Green item listed "Internet explorer". Expand that item by clicking on the plus sign (+) in front of the item. Look for and check "Typed URL list" (there may be more than one if you have multiple users on the system). Then do a "Fix selected problems".

Note: If you want to do this quickly without going through an entire spyware scan, you can right click on the File Sets and choose "Usage tracks check only" and the check will be limited. If you do this however, you must remember to go back into Spybot > Settings > File Sets after the scan and check all the spyware checks again or right click and select "Select all available check" or "Spyware check only" (which is the default).

chdchd
2006-01-11, 08:56
Hi

Thanks for the last tip, but I still have the same problem....
When I disconnect from the internet all of the web sites addresses disappears. But when I connect to the internet again these web sites appears in the address bar again. Where is this information stored?

I hope that you can help me :confused:

Regards
Ch

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-13, 17:22
… but I still have the same problem....
Try clearing your Internet Explorer history without any programs running as described in the following article:
Clearing History May Not Remove Pages You Visited Today in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q323687

Where is this information stored?
History Folder:
%path%\history\history.ie5 [dir]
%path%\history\history.ie5\Index.dat
%path%\history\history.ie5\mshist01.. [dir]
%path%\history\history.ie5\mshist01..\Index.dat
- - - - - - - -
%path%\history\history.ie5\mshist0n.. [dir]
%path%\history\history.ie5\mshist0n..\Index.dat

The %path% varies widely between the various combinations of Operating Systems and I.E. versions.

Typed URLs

Typed URLs are stored in the system registry.
When you follow my instructions above you will see the actual registry key:

… When the scan completes there should be a Green item listed "Internet explorer". Expand that item by clicking on the plus sign (+) in front of the item. Look for and check "Typed URL list" (there may be more than one if you have multiple users on the system). …