PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.5 beta bugs and false positives.

Rosenfeld
2007-06-17, 06:21
XP home SP2, IE 7, WMP 11 All updates.

I downloaded and installed (after complete uninstall of 1.4) Spybot 1.5 beta from Neowin site. Fully updated, including beta.sbi. Teatimer not set to run.

I found the following bugs/false positives.

1. With SDHelper enabled, I cannot open the pages to SuperAntiSpyware, nor its forum:
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php
I just get a blank page, no message.

Unchecking SDhelper in Tools/resident, closing/reopening IE, I can access those sites. So it is definitely SDHelper that is blocking them.

2. In settings, ignore cookies, the cookie for auto login to SuperAntiSpyware forums is shown in red (as if it were a tracking cookie). If I check it to save it, go out of ignore cookies, go back, I get a message

You have excluded tracking cookies from the search. Do you really want to NOT check for them?

If I click No, the cookie is unchecked. If I click yes, it is not clear whether all tracking cookies will not be searched for or just that one.

What has Spybot got against SuperAntiSpyware? It is a perfectly respectable software, albeit you might consider it to be a competitor, that is no reason to
disable access to its web pages with SDHelper enabled, nor to treat its autologin cookie as a tracking cookie. Version1.4 did not do this.

3. Most tracks not showing up in scan.
I have tracks.uti checked, nothing excluded. The only tracks that show up in the scan are Log and Common dialog. There were lots more with v 1.4.

--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.5 (build: 20070525) ---

2007-06-15 blindman.exe (1.0.0.6)
2007-06-15 SDMain.exe (1.0.0.4)
2007-06-15 SDUpdate.exe (1.0.6.3)
2007-06-15 SDWinSec.exe (1.0.0.8)
2007-06-15 SpybotSD.exe (1.5.1.10)
2007-06-15 TeaTimer.exe (1.5.0.9)
2007-06-17 unins000.exe (51.46.0.0)
2007-06-15 Update.exe (1.4.0.5)
2007-05-23 advcheck.dll (1.5.3.0)
2007-04-02 aports.dll (2.1.0.0)
2007-04-02 DelZip179.dll (1.79.5.3)
2007-06-15 SDHelper.dll (1.5.0.6)
2007-01-02 Tools.dll (2.0.1.0)
2007-06-13 Includes\Beta.sbi (*)
2005-02-16 Includes\Beta.uti
2007-06-13 Includes\Cookies.sbi (*)
2007-05-30 Includes\Dialer.sbi (*)
2007-06-13 Includes\DialerC.sbi (*)
2007-06-13 Includes\Hijackers.sbi (*)
2007-06-13 Includes\HijackersC.sbi (*)
2006-10-27 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi (*)
2007-06-13 Includes\KeyloggersC.sbi (*)
2007-05-30 Includes\Malware.sbi (*)
2007-06-13 Includes\MalwareC.sbi (*)
2007-03-21 Includes\PUPS.sbi (*)
2007-06-13 Includes\PUPSC.sbi (*)
2007-06-13 Includes\Revision.sbi (*)
2007-05-30 Includes\Security.sbi (*)
2007-06-13 Includes\SecurityC.sbi (*)
2007-06-06 Includes\Spybots.sbi (*)
2007-06-13 Includes\SpybotsC.sbi (*)
2005-02-17 Includes\Tracks.uti (*)
2007-05-16 Includes\Trojans.sbi (*)
2007-06-13 Includes\TrojansC.sbi (*)
2007-06-06 Plugins\TCPIPAddress.dll

I am reverting to 1.4 for now, as I definitely want to be able to use SDHelper and be able to delete some tracks.

Please let us know when the above are fixed.
Please let me know

PS Found the SDHelper log, that clearly shows it is blockin Superantispyware:

17/06/2007 04:37:49 Blocked HTTP://FORUMS.SUPERANTISPYWARE.COM/INDEX.PHP: /AntiSpyWare2007 (Blacklisted URL)
17/06/2007 04:44:00 Blocked HTTP://WWW.SUPERANTISPYWARE.COM/: /AntiSpyWare2007 (Blacklisted URL)
17/06/2007 04:44:33 Blocked HTTP://WWW.SUPERANTISPYWARE.COM/: /AntiSpyWare2007 (Blacklisted URL)
17/06/2007 04:44:39 Blocked HTTP://WWW.SUPERANTISPYWARE.COM/: /AntiSpyWare2007 (Blacklisted URL)
17/06/2007 04:45:56 Blocked HTTP://WWW.SUPERANTISPYWARE.COM/?TAG=SUPERANTISPYWARE: /AntiSpyWare2007 (Blacklisted URL)
17/06/2007 04:47:57 Blocked HTTP://WWW.SUPERANTISPYWARE.COM/: /AntiSpyWare2007 (Blacklisted URL)
17/06/2007 04:48:02 Blocked HTTP://WWW.SUPERANTISPYWARE.COM/: /AntiSpyWare2007 (Blacklisted URL)
17/06/2007 04:48:41 Blocked HTTP://WWW.SUPERANTISPYWARE.COM/: /AntiSpyWare2007 (Blacklisted URL)

wolfgang
2007-06-17, 11:36
What is new in this version ?

Rosenfeld
2007-06-17, 12:39
You ask what's new:

I have not seen a change log, except it is now "Works with Vista" (not relevant for Windows XP users, of course).

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

But there have clearly been some changes, judging from the fact that individual components have different version numbers from their equivalents in 1.4. Changes appear to be mainly internal. From user's perspective there are no major changes in functionality; minor changes to the GUI and a few of the icons, and new pop up interface when checking for updates.

PepiMK
2007-06-17, 15:31
First, this is not really a public beta; it is a version that's not secret, but was intended for some pre-beta-release tests by a few people. I guess someone just tried a few likely filenames on the server when the beta was announced ;)

1/2. Might be due to "antispyware.com" being added in an unsecure way to the block list (like the something...gator.com F/P we had a few years ago).

3. I'll look into that.

Regarding the changes, they are, as guessed, not to be found in the UI really ;)
A real list will be available with the real public beta then...

Rosenfeld
2007-06-17, 17:07
Thanks for response. Sorry if I jumped the gun.

I did post separately in http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=13375

asking if it was the official 1.5 beta, but Tashi's reply was a little ambiguous, so I thought I'd try anyway.

At least you'll have the chance to fix the things I found before the official release :-)

wk357mag
2007-06-18, 04:33
First, this is not really a public beta; it is a version that's not secret, but was intended for some pre-beta-release tests by a few people.

Care for a few more volunteers?

PepiMK
2007-06-19, 09:01
Well, sinee someone (Neowin) already found out the link where the current version is, why not? :laugh:

spybotsd15.exe (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/beta/spybotsd15.exe)
(Newer than the one on Neowin ;) Still called beta though)

PepiMK
2007-06-19, 13:57
The changelog as well as currently known open and fixed bugs, and the download, can be found here (http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=spybotsdbeta).

dk2005
2007-06-19, 18:09
Ok, I gave the above 1.5 a try(the one PepiMK posted).

I think my host files weere damaged by some program(Comodo BOclean), since Spybot 1.4, when I try to use the "Add Spybot hosts lists". It'll give me this error message: http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/4793/untitled2tw5.jpg.
Nothing more. Spybot 1.4 just stays as per normal.

But when try to "Add Spybot hosts lists" in 1.5, in addition to the same error message(above), more follows, and spybot 1.5 crashes. These are the error messages that displays when I click "Add Spybot hosts lists", in sequence:

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/4793/untitled2tw5.jpg

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7532/untitledij7.jpg

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6127/untitledru4.jpg

Clicked Don't Send
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/923/untitledmm0.jpg

Then spybot 1.5 just crashes. Note that nothing of this sort happens in Spybot 1.4 except for the first Error Msg. Also, in both 1.4 and 1.5, my Lock host files setting, is greyed out.

Running on Windows XP home. IE 7.

I would also appreciate a solution for what's possibly my damanged host files.:)

wk357mag
2007-06-19, 19:34
Well, sinee someone (Neowin) already found out the link where the current version is, why not? :laugh:

spybotsd15.exe (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/beta/spybotsd15.exe)
(Newer than the one on Neowin ;) Still called beta though)

Thanks I got it installed now and working with it seems nice. I did get Tea Timer to CRASH a few times. Also one time I had TWO TT's showing in my tray and also in my task manager too. So I rebooted. Then after I tell TT to allow a change (and remember it too), after the second one, it will crash. Icon is still in system tray, but a mouse over will make it go away. Task manager doesnt show TT anymore. Starting Spybot application will start TT again. Though ever time I tell it to allow something, the second one will CRASH TT again.

OK, one other thing, not really a problem, just seems weird.

When you "Search for Updates", alittle window pops up. Searches, then says "No newer updates available". Hit OK, then you got to hit exit on that popup window. Is there away to make it so that when you hit the OK, when there is no newer update, that it also EXITS the popup window too? No real big deal though.

Lastly, If you would offer an option to HIDE the TeaTimer icon, I would be happy. You did give me the edition needed to be added to registry, to hide it. This option still works, but requirs manual addition to reg. Would be a nice option to have with in the SETTINGS. But if you against this, then maybe just go ahead and have the installer ADD this key in registry anyway, but with a value of "0", which we can edit later, should be choose to.

So, would be cool to have this as an offcial option with in settings, but if not can you install this in registry so all we got to do is change value.

Thanks, I will keep working with this and look foward to the next beta version!

Rosenfeld
2007-06-19, 19:53
First, I assume you have Windows XP and that its main folder is C:\Windows.

I don't have those messages either with 1.4 or 1.5. Although I don't normally use the Spybot HOSTS file (I use the one from mvps.org), I just tried adding Spybot's and removing it, and that all worked smoothly.

The path in the first two error message is obviously wrong. As shown, it looks as if it was looking for the Windows folder (%systemroot%) and its subfolders as a subfolder of

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

and obviously could not find it there.

I don't know why it is doing that on your system, but I don't think it means there is anything necessaily wrong with your HOSTS file per se (it is just a text file, any errors in it would just be ignored), rather that somewhere or other the path to it has got badly mangled. It should just be

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
or
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

I don't know for sure, but possibly the other messages you are getting with version 1.5 are as a rseult of the initial error, and would not appear if that were corrected.

When in Spybot, advanced mode, Tools, Hosts file page, does it show the current contents of you HOSTS file (before you click on Add Spybot's hosts list)?

You could check with Windows Explorer, see if the HOSTS file is in the correct place, and only there (you may need to first go to control panel, folder options, view tab, check show hidden files and folders, uncheck hide extensions for known file types, uncheck hide protected operating system files (click yes to any warning message), click Apply OK).
If you want to search for it, click start, search, for files or folders. In the search window, left panel, click on mor advanced options, check the first three boxes. then search your hard drive for hosts. The hosts file has no extension. If you find it, it should open in Notepad. Apart from comment lines which start with a #, the first line should be

127.0.0.1 localhost

thereafter there may be a list of entries (with or without comment lines starting with #) of the form

127.0.0.1 ad.a8.net

the first part should always be 127.0.0.1, the second part is the domain name of the site that is to be redirected.

If you find more than one file called HOSTS without a file extension (the bit after the . in most file names), delete all that are not in

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

Rosenfeld
2007-06-20, 05:02
Another minor hiccup.

When fixing a flagged system internals, the browse button does not work.

Also I think the item is incorrectly flagged. The path string gives the correct file, but without its extension and with a switch. That is a permissible way for software to point to its file, but of course if one simply tries to match the string to file names it will appear to be wrong. See pic.

Incidentally, I uninstalled the original beta and installed the one fro PepiMek's link in this thread, but the build number is the same (--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.5 (build: 20070525) ---.

pwillener
2007-06-20, 08:21
... but the build number is the same (--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.5 (build: 20070525) ---.
How do you know the build number (or date) you have installed?

When I select Help -> About, I get

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5

Latest detection update: 06-13-2007

No build number anywhere I can see...

pwillener
2007-06-20, 08:26
May I make an enhancement request here? From above post

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5

Latest detection update: 06-13-2007

I don't like this (American) date format; to me this is immensely confusing.

Could you change that to the specified system date format; e.g. mine is set to YYYY/MM/DD, so I normally see all dates in this format 2007/06/19.

PepiMK
2007-06-20, 09:24
@k357mag: the updater window is a separate updater application. That was done mostly for Vista, or better: to separate processes that need different rights (updating always needs admin rights). And updating is easier to schedule this way.

Close on OK: not a bad idea, I'll try how that "feels" when using it ;)
TeaTimer icon thing: the registry value is no problem at all (added both in HKCU and HKLM). An "official" checkbox for it is something I just fear would cause a lot of reports "my icon has gone" ;)

@Rosenfeld: the build date is usually related to the scan engine, which hasn't changed. Good point to increase this number though.
Since this is intended mostly for internal use (e.g. if specific detections needs some engine changes identified by build number), I've updated the version number on the info page to show completely (e.g. 1.5.1.12).

I've updated the file recognition algo to be the same as in RunAlyzer, which understands such situations. The browse button is a bug of the default file open dialog, which just doesn't open if it doesn't recognize a file (not sure if this is a Windows or Delphi problem). I'll change this to pass the file path detected through the method mentioned earlier.

@pwillener: the build number is on logs (Tools -> View Report). You can also hover the mouse over the version number where you found the detection update date as well.

The date thing is a good point of course, I immediately updated that.

----

Or to compile those changes into a list:
Update date format on info page now localized
Displayed app version is now four digits (e.g. 1.5.1.12)
Improved Sys Internals file location algo
Improved hosts file location algo
Added TeaTimer hide icon (disabled) registry value in installerI'm still looking for reports in other places before making the changes available though :)

wk357mag
2007-06-20, 14:49
@k357mag: the updater window is a separate updater application. That was done mostly for Vista, or better: to separate processes that need different rights (updating always needs admin rights). And updating is easier to schedule this way.

Close on OK: not a bad idea, I'll try how that "feels" when using it ;)
TeaTimer icon thing: the registry value is no problem at all (added both in HKCU and HKLM). An "official" checkbox for it is something I just fear would cause a lot of reports "my icon has gone" ;)

----

Or to compile those changes into a list:
Update date format on info page now localized
Displayed app version is now four digits (e.g. 1.5.1.12)
Improved Sys Internals file location algo
Improved hosts file location algo
Added TeaTimer hide icon (disabled) registry value in installerI'm still looking for reports in other places before making the changes available though :)

Hey thanks Pepi! I understand the fears you have with that icon accidentally missing cause some may not know what the option is that they have choosen. But having the keys already there, would be great so advanced users could still select this as a option.

I am now getting the latest updates and will continue to work with it. Is there some other area you are looking for comments on, so I can focus on that?

Rosenfeld
2007-06-22, 01:41
How do you know the build number (or date) you have installed?

When I select Help -> About, I get

No build number anywhere I can see...

After a scan, advanced mode, Tools, view report. It's in there.

wk357mag
2007-06-23, 06:49
OK, I got the latest Beta release now, installed. Everything looking pretty good. I did notice that TRACKS wasnt being cleaned and thought this to be weird. I found the other post which pointed it out to be a file extension issue, but attempting to change it to SBI, mearly made it so the file was now called tracks.sbi.uti. This may be cause TT is enabled and its protecting it some how. So I will try again with TT off. Or is there another way to change this??

The TeaTimer crash has been fixxed and seems to be working smooth now!

The TT hide option has been added to the registry and works fine with a mere change of the value from "0" to "1". This is in another location that what I was using before (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PepiMK Software \SpybotSnD). Though this new location works fine!!!

Recommend that the "New Skin for color blind peeps" be added to the next beta test version, seeing that its got the old one installed already, might as well have the latest version there already.

I have wondered if also adding the newest HELP and Language files would be good too, but, if there not using the ENGLISH language, then they wouldnt need those updated files. Though, they are already present, just older forms of them.

PepiMK
2007-06-23, 12:33
Yes, registry settings are now in ...\Safer Networking\... instead of ...\PepiMK Software\..., but when you first start one of the old versions, it'll automatically move over the old settings, and even if it can't do that, it'll use them in the old place as well. This registry value is also both in HKLM and in HKCU, to allow a system-wide override through the HKLM setting (this is valid for nearly all of the registry settings; this way an admin can override certain user settings).

Regarding updates: yes, I need to go through the list and check which updates are already included in the installer, and make sure they're only shown to older versions. Already did so for languages (not uploaded yet though), help files etc. will follow (though since help files are not very small, they'll probably not all go into the installer).

The file extension thing sounds more like Windows "preserving" extensions during rename operations, e.g. if you've got Explorer set to not show file extensions.

dj.turkmaster
2007-06-25, 20:34
in the latest beta 1.5.1.12 when i click search for updates button it starts searchin too fast. i mean you dont have time to click the search for betas button and the download languages button. i know i can do these in the setting section but if you have put those options there i think we should have time to click them ;). by the way why did you remove the secure shredder function. i was using it :) even if it is not a very great function it is a function :bigthumb:

bitman
2007-06-25, 20:55
Click the 'Update' button in the left pane of Spybot S&D rather than the 'Search for Updates' button in the right pane.

< SNIP >

The integrated shredder has, as jonathanbean mentioned, been deactivated and is used only for cleanups currently, simple because there are many better stand-alone shredders out there.

< SNIP >

< SNIP >

If you like, we would recommend an other tool for deleting sensitive data. The tool "Eraser".

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php
http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php

< SNIP >

md usa spybot fan
2007-06-25, 21:00
dj.turkmaster:

What is the name of the screen (top of the right hand pane) where you are clicking the "Search for Updates" button?

Are you clicking the "Search for Updates" button from Spybot's main screen or first going into Spybot's Update screen?

md usa spybot fan
2007-06-25, 21:03
bitman:

I missed your post typing mine.

wk357mag
2007-06-25, 22:48
in the latest beta 1.5.1.12 when i click search for updates button it starts searchin too fast. i mean you dont have time to click the search for betas button and the download languages button. i know i can do these in the setting section but if you have put those options there i think we should have time to click them ;). by the way why did you remove the secure shredder function. i was using it :) even if it is not a very great function it is a function :bigthumb:

There is another way. When you first open SB, there it TWO update buttons seen. One is on left, other is centered. If you hit the centered button, it will not only open the update portion of the program, but also start the SEARCH for updates.

If you hit the update button on the left, it will just open the update part, but not start to actually update yet. Then you will have time to select these options and then hit SEARCH

(EDIT: Guess I should have read the entire thread, so I could see someone else has already answered)

dj.turkmaster
2007-06-25, 23:13
There is another way. When you first open SB, there it TWO update buttons seen. One is on left, other is centered. If you hit the centered button, it will not only open the update portion of the program, but also start the SEARCH for updates.

If you hit the update button on the left, it will just open the update part, but not start to actually update yet. Then you will have time to select these options and then hit SEARCH

(EDIT: Guess I should have read the entire thread, so I could see someone else has already answered)
thanks for the quick replies. I was clicking the one in the middle

bitman
2007-06-26, 06:29
Don't feel bad, the same thing was happening to me. I just happened to realize that I was clicking the 'Search for Updates' which tends to imply an immediate response, so I tried the Update button to see what the difference might be.

I don't think this is enough of a bother to 'fix', it's just more evident now that the Search for Updates button skips a step, and mildly disconcerting when the window flashes by without stopping.

Bitman

JedMeister
2007-06-26, 08:17
Hi all,
I accidentally ran across the beta in my travels online and after much searching made my way to this thread. Whew!! I have been a long term user of SpyBot S&D 1.4 (Win XP SP2 + updates) but never been here because I've never needed to (never had any major problems with SB)!

...So I was keen to have a crack at the beta (I've got the latest I think 1.5.1.12). I installed it straight over the top of my old SpyBot, probably a dumb start! Then had the problem(?) mentioned above with update (using the middle one - not the side one). I know it only a little thing but could I suggest that either both buttons do the same thing or the tick boxes don't appear on the dialog window when you press the "Search For Updates" button (in the middle)? I know it works ok, but becasuse of my other problem (see below) I actually thought it was a bug in the beta!

To the other (part of my) problem (which I think is more a fault with the mirrors rather than SB beta, but I think it could do with improvement). The update window would open with a list of available updates, I'd click download and it would go through the list and almost immediately say bad checksum for each (and every) file. The only way I could (see to) change the server/mirror was to quit out of the updater, back to the main screen and then hit update again. It took 5 or 6 times of that to get a server to work, was quite painful. In 1.4 you could just change server on the drop-down.

Otherwise, seems to run beautiful. Also I noticed I had to adjust all my setting to how I like them (thought they may have migrated automatically because I installed over the top?)
....Hang on just realised that I didn't "install over the top" I actually used a different Program files folder, I guess thats why I had to do settings!?

PepiMK
2007-06-26, 14:26
@dj.turkmaster: And a third alternative: start the updater from the Windows Start menu :)

The shredder: well, it just doesn't appear on XP and newer any more, since on modern NTFS partitions, it might not be as secure as it should be. We usually recommend a free standalone product for that, just don't have the name at hand right now...

@bitman: actually, it was a feature request to actually "search" when clicking "search". Different users obviously see this differently ;)

@JedMeister: you could actually right-click the list of updates and select "Back to mirror list"... but I guess not many people these days tend to look into context menues, a lot of functionality in Spybot-S&D might be overlooked that way ;-)
Maybe I should add the "back" button to the bottom toolbar as well...
The drop-down menu in 1.4 was "quicker", but also easier to overlook.

Which settings exactly were those you had to re-apply? Spybot-s&D tries to automatically migrate the registry settings, for example, and the stuff in the App Data folder shouldn't be changed as well. The only thing I just found was that the Ignore settings were overwritten. I adjusted that so they'll only be set if these files do not exist.

Jim B
2007-06-27, 14:08
Recently installed version 1.5 (from Neowin). I unistalled and went back to Spybot 1.4 after just having a look around the BETA :). Anyway in the 'Tools' in Internet Explorer 7.0 I have noticed that 'Spybot - Search Destroy Configuration' is still there.

1. How do I now remove this.
2. Does Spybot now remove this on uninstall?

wk357mag
2007-06-27, 14:58
If you want to help with Beta Testing, then uninstall what you got and do a fresh install of the latest beta client

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsdbeta/index.html

Then read the posts already made on it, so you dont reproduce the same posts on known issues and such.

Were hoping for another beta to come out real soon, with fixxes on problems already discussed

PepiMK
2007-06-28, 11:51
The next installer should be able to remove that IE entry as well, yes. Meanwhile, you could remove it with the small registry file I posted in another beta topic here, or with RunAlyzer, or with IEs integrated add-on management.

The next beta will be available as soon as I've debugged the TeaTimer 64 bit processes thing.

Meanwhile, we're nearly finished rewriting the whole immunization stuff, to be more consistent and to feature the following:
Firefox: Installations
Firefox: Popups
Firefox: Cookies
Firefox: Images
Opera: Plugins
Opera: Cookies
Opera: Popups
Opera: Content
IE: Cookies
IE: Domains
IE: IP ranges
IE: Plugins
Windows: Hosts(Firefox means all Mozilla-type browsers actually, probably should rename it; IE means 32 and 64 bit, Opera means Opera 4 and newer, including 9)
Since this will use a new UI (which is not finished), I'm not sure if it will make it's way into the 1.5 immediately, but if not, I'll make a stand-alone test available. If you want to see more on this list, please let me know.

wk357mag
2007-06-28, 12:06
Pepi, you may as well wait and finish all this to include in 1.5 Final. Beta testing till then!

One more thing I noticed, when I go to TOOLS, HOSTFILE and RE-add host file, it happens so fast! Older version was slower cause it was checking to make sure there was no double entries in there. Is this still true, or is this added speed by design? or a bug? possbily part of what you mentioned in previouse post?

PepiMK
2007-06-29, 12:46
That's improved code - it's still checking for duplicates as before ;)
The new method needs a bit more memory while doing that operation, but I think the speed improvement is worth that.

Screenshot of new immunization:

http://www.safer-networking.org/images/spybotsd/immunize2preview1.png

Ignore the window frame around it; that's just because I obviously test it separately. Also, this is the "advanced view", I need to come up with a much simplified view to get the "one-click-and-done" feeling back and not overtax the regular user who might not care about all this.

wk357mag
2007-06-29, 13:29
That looks awesome!! Please complete this part for 1.5 Final. Should be a welcomed thing by all!

Maybe just make the top button say "IMMUNIZE ALL" and all possible things are CHECKED and added at that time.

Added memeory now prob, cause that is a MAJOR speed increase here!

JedMeister
2007-06-29, 17:26
Hi Pepi, lookin good!

Yeah a back arrow would do the trick!

I didn't think to right-click, typical. I also like the "Set as Default Mirror", nice! Sorry I didn't take better note of what happened when I installed. I did try to elaborate but the time for editing had past, Could've double posted I suppose but I didn't. Now I think about it, when I first started the beta after installing, it ran the "First-time wizard" I clicked to set a restore point, it seemed to freeze for a while and I let it go, when I came back it was still running, (same spot - no next button). No sure what that was about. I just shut it and restarted it (SB) and it was fine after that (except for my last post that is). Everything seems to be working fine since then.

Sorry didn't answer your question! I cant remember exactly now what settings, but I' sure it went back to the default view (I had it on advanced).

PepiMK
2007-07-03, 19:55
Back to the immunizer: there's a quick overview panel at the top now, and we did some more testing.

What's missing now is a progress animation (if you ask why so playful: because the animation would show that its still working even if it stops for a moment when undoing huge amounts of things in the Firefox profiles)... I thought about a brick wall that slowly gets built up, stone after stone... if anyone is really good at that stuff, please make suggestions :)
Otherwise I'll give it an attempt myself :spider:

Not tomorrow though, but I hope I'll have some demo (either standalone or already integrated into a new full thing) Thursday!

wk357mag
2007-07-03, 20:13
how about a man and a woman, naked and she ............... Umm, guess this needs to be "G" rated. Never mind