PDA

View Full Version : Spybot does not open

ouisch
2006-01-06, 00:51
I can click the desktop shortcut or try opening from the program list but when I do it takes a moment then I see the program flash on the screen for a moment then it disappears and does not open. Any ideas? I uninstalled and reinstalled.

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-06, 06:24
There is a variant of Coolwebsearch that closed Spybot and some other anti-spyware programs when they start. If this is the problem, there is a removal tool that may help.

Please read the following:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2004-01-21.html
Ugly new CoolWWWSearch variant

That article points to a page that contains a download for:
CoolWWWSearch.SmartSearch (v1/v2) MiniRemoval (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/delcwssk.zip)

Download delcwssk.zip, unzip it, and execute miniremoval_coolwebsearch_smartkiller.exe. Then see if you can get Spybot to run.

captain_gut
2006-01-06, 14:15
If the remover doesn't solve the problem please let us know which version of Spybot-S&D you are using and whether you experienced this behaviour right from the very first run or if it started all of a sudden.

Flo

ouisch
2006-01-07, 01:54
i ran the remover and it says it is not on my computer.
spybot use to work perfectly but one day it just wouldn't open.
i am using version 1.4

captain_gut
2006-01-11, 15:06
Though this shouldn't happen - do you have any automation options enabled?
Please have a look at the file Configuration.ini. Where this file is located depends on your Windows version:
(Please be sure that hidden files are shown. Please have a look at this page to see how to show hidden files and folders:
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html)

Windows 95/98: C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
Windows NT/2000/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Open th Configuration.ini and see whether any of the Automation options is set "1".

artaxerxes
2009-07-06, 11:51
I have followed the steps in this post after finding myself unable to open Spybot.

I have the latest version and was able to complete the reinstall porcess easily... however when the main window should open I am left with a [Spybot] in the task bar but no associated window.

McCafee finds no issues, Malwarebytes found and removed a trojan before reinstall. I am running two screens, but even with one off this still occurs.

Win XP SP3

"[Automation]
OfferTempCleaner=1
SystemStart=NoAutomation"

MisterW
2009-07-06, 13:17
Hello,

this problem you eyperience may be caused by an infection.
Just to make sure you are not infected with a rootkit, please run a scan for rootkits.
Rootkits are a technology that is more and more often used by malware to hide themselves on
system level, making themselves invisible to standard tools. Our RootAlyzer shows you anything
that uses certain rootkit technologies, even if it's not in Spybot-S&Ds detection database.

The RootAlyzer is a single tool which goes through the file system, the registry and process
related lists. When you start RootAlyzer, it performs a very quick scan of a few important places,
taking about a second on modern machines. To check the full system, you have the possibility of
choosing a Deep Scan.

Currently, the RootAlyzer is a work in progress (with a new project tools category in our
forum to track bugs and feature requests), but it's already helping to easily locate most of
the current malware rootkits. It is compatible with Windows NT/2000/XP/2k3 and Vista.
If you like to check out the new RootAlyzer you will find it in our forum:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24185

Here is also the direct download link: http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/rootalyz-0.2.1.35.zip

Please set your computer to show all files.

* Double-click My Computer.
* Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
* Click the View tab.
* Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
* Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
* Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
* Click Apply, and then click OK.

Please select to make a deep scan from the tab 'deep scan'.
The scan will take a moment, please be patient.
After the scan is done please click on 'pack suspicious files' which is located right at the bottom.
This will create a .cab file on your desktop which contains the log and the suspicious files
the scan has found. Please attach this .cab file to your next mail.

Thanks!;)

Best regards,
Markus
Team Spybot

Tristar500
2009-07-07, 22:25
Having the same problem as the previous user.

Ran Rootalyzer and the the forum software won't allow me to upload a .cab file. Even if I rename the extension it's 130K, Just a bit too big?

Now what?

Thanks!

Hello,

Just to make sure you are not infected with a rootkit, please run a scan for rootkits.
Rootkits are a technology that is more and more often used by malware to hide themselves on
system level, making themselves invisible to standard tools. Our RootAlyzer shows you anything
that uses certain rootkit technologies, even if it's not in Spybot-S&Ds detection database.

The RootAlyzer is a single tool which goes through the file system, the registry and process
related lists. When you start RootAlyzer, it performs a very quick scan of a few important places,
taking about a second on modern machines. To check the full system, you have the possibility of
choosing a Deep Scan.

Currently, the RootAlyzer is a work in progress (with a new project tools category in our
forum to track bugs and feature requests), but it's already helping to easily locate most of
the current malware rootkits. It is compatible with Windows NT/2000/XP/2k3 and Vista.

Here is also the direct download link: http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/rootalyz-0.2.1.35.zip

* Click the View tab.

After the scan is done please click on 'pack suspicious files' which is located right at the bottom.
This will create a .cab file on your desktop which contains the log and the suspicious files

Thanks!;)

Best regards,
Markus
Team Spybot

dixongrfx
2009-07-08, 21:18
TriStar, I had to go into the properties of TCPIP under network connections and set it to obtain DNS automaticly. A malware had set my DNS server to something else. I wish I had thought to write down the number. oh well

in order to upload the cab file, I packed it into a winzip archive.

Matt
2009-07-08, 21:23
Hi Tristar500,

Please try to upload your files. Moreover, you can always follow these steps (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=320584&postcount=2) as well, it should help you. ;)

Happy safe surfing for the future. :cool:

dixongrfx
2009-07-08, 21:37
I ran the rootkit analizer and it found 4 files that it packed and removed. But spybot will still not run. any more clues or ideas?

Matt
2009-07-08, 21:40
I ran the rootkit analizer and it found 4 files that it packed and removed. But spybot will still not run. any more clues or ideas?I've added a link in my last post. Try this.

dixongrfx
2009-07-08, 22:05
Thanks Matt, that got me into spybot and running a scan. :bigthumb:

Matt
2009-07-08, 22:10
Thanks Matt, that got me into spybot and running a scan. :bigthumb: Good to hear. :bigthumb:
Please post the content of Spybot's scan result (right click after scan at the white background and choose safe results to file).

dixongrfx
2009-07-08, 22:29
here are the results...

That's what I get for trying to recover the data from a friends HD.

Matt
2009-07-08, 22:34
here are the results...

That's what I get for trying to recover the data from a friends HD.
Let Spybot fix everything.
If you have problems with it, try to fix it in safe mode.
If that doesn't help you, you should go to Step # 4, but I think Spybot will do this job. :bigthumb:

dixongrfx
2009-07-08, 23:31
Good news.. Looks like SB was able to clean off all it found. I ran a startup scan and a scan in safe mode and both came back clean. And Spybot no opens normally. :laugh: For the sake of being thorough I will run some other virus scans. But I always get the best results with SB. Thanks for all the help. :bigthumb:

Matt
2009-07-08, 23:38
Good news.. Looks like SB was able to clean off all it found. I ran a startup scan and a scan in safe mode and both came back clean. And Spybot no opens normally. :laugh: For the sake of being thorough I will run some other virus scans. But I always get the best results with SB. Thanks for all the help. :bigthumb:
I'm glad that we could help. :bigthumb:

Happy safe surfing for the future. ;)

MisterW
2009-07-09, 09:50
Hello,
please send the rootalyzer files to detections@spybot.info

best regards,
Markus

Super1Ace
2009-07-17, 08:38
Hello,

choosing a Deep Scan.

* Click the View tab.

Thanks!;)

Best regards,
Markus
Team Spybot

Thank you so much for this advice. I ran everything available for free until everything passed the scans and spybot didn't open, even though the process showed up on the process list of task manager for a couple minutes until it disappeared. Using the .scr method also worked but I don't like using little tricks, especially when there's nothing I can find that would prevent the proper methods from working.

The program came up with a bunch of things in deep scan. Some I figured weren't a big issue but probably wouldn't be missed by any programs.
After it packed the files and everything it seemed that my computer is running slightly faster, big improvement for this ancient thing. :D:
Also, should I send the .cab file to that email too? I'm still running antivirus and working with Microsoft's site so I probably missed it if you said so in the forum.

:thanks: again!

My first post. Hi everyone!

Super1Ace
2009-07-17, 08:49
Spoke too soon. Somehow the shortcut changed from opening the .exe to opening the .scr. Spybot still won't open when I click the resident tray icon.

MisterW
2009-07-17, 09:23
Hello,
yes, please feel free to send the cab to this adress so we can have a look on it

Best regards,
Markus

gigigeorge
2012-09-29, 21:19
Hello Markus,

I have done the deep scan using the RootAlyzer.
I am not able to attach the .can file

Please find below the contect of the can file.

// info: Rootkit removal help file
// copyright: (c) 2008 Safer Networking Ltd. All rights reserved.

:: RootAlyzer Results
File:"Invisible to Win32","C:\Documents and Settings\gigig\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\majjljip.exe"
File:"Invisible to Win32","C:\Documents and Settings\gigig\Local Settings\Application Data\etrwbgcc\majjljip.exe"
File:"No admin in ACL","C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\36A9432208.sys"
File:"No admin in ACL","C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\KGyGaAvL.sys"
Directory:"Invisible to Win32","C:\Documents and Settings\gigig\Local Settings\Application Data\etrwbgcc"
RegyKey:"No admin in ACL","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE","\SOFTWARE\","NOS"
RegyKey:"No admin in ACL","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE","\SOFTWARE\NOS\","{459E93B6-150E-45d5-8D4B-45C66FC035FE}"

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks and regards

Gigi

spybotsandra
2012-10-01, 13:21
Hello,

You seem to be infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\gigig\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\majjljip.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\gigig\Local Settings\Application Data\etrwbgcc\majjljip.exe

Please follow the procedure in this link: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)
Start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) where a helper will advise you as soon as available.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot