PDA

View Full Version : Hanging@Zwax

Digby
2006-01-06, 02:10
Hello:

I've been running S&D (currently 1.4 with the latest updates) for years and usually with excellent results. I'm running Windows XP (fully updated) and NAV home version.

When I ran S&D tonight it hung up @ Zwax (33849/36444). I ran HJT which had two results unfamiliar to me. I "fixed" them and re-ran it. Clean. I then scan'd the computer with NAV. Clean.

Oh, forgot to add I use the Avant Browser and I need to update it. As ever, the help of the S&D team is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Digby

spybotsandra
2006-01-06, 10:11
Hello,

Please clean your browser cache.
That should help to get the scan to the end.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Digby
2006-01-06, 19:52
Sandra:

Thanks. I cleared out what I thought was the browser cache, but it didn't help. I now get stuck at 34246/36843.

Any chance you could be a little more specific about where/what I should clean out? I don't have anything labelled "browser cache."

thanks again.
eta: spoke a bit too soon. it hung for a bit, then cleared through zwax. i must have cleared out the right place. thanks muchly.

shades
2006-02-07, 21:54
Hi All,
I have never seen the zwax problem before but after I upgraded to v1.4 when I run spybot on my, and my wifes, computer I get this error. Please excuse my ignorance but where is the browser 'cache' so that I may clear the contents?

shades....

spybotsandra
2006-02-08, 09:57
Hello,

Please delete the contents of your Windows temp folder and try it again: For that purpose, please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Tools" --> "Secure Shredder" from the navigation bar on the left. There select "Add files from temp folder" from the drop down menu on the top (hit the small arrow next to templates). Then "Chop it away!"

You can also try the following:
- select "Settings" --> "Settings" in the navigation bar on the left and untick the checkbox in front of "display confirmation dialogs"
- exit Spybot-S&D so the settings are saved
- run Spybot-S&D and "Check for problems" again

Expect it to run slowly, it appears to hang. Please be patient - it should clear with the problems fixed.

If it still doesn't work please select "Settings" --> "Settings" from the toolbar on the left. In the section "Main settings" please untick the checkbox in front of "Create system restore point when fixing spyware/usage tracks".

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Jeremy23
2006-03-01, 08:46
I solved the problem a few days ago. This may not be the cause of yours, but Spybot was hanging on Zwax for me because I had a download directory set to a network location, so Spybot was scanning my 25GB worth of downloads over an 11MB ethernet connection on each scan. No wonder it was crashing! (Actually, it wasn't - if I left it for maybe a few days it might have come back!)

Just check that Spybot isn't scanning your downloads:

First, activate Advanced mode
Under Settings > Directories, right-click each item and click Remove.

No guarantees that's your problem, though.