PDA

View Full Version : spybot 1.4 install aborted - how to retry?

jbandy
2007-06-19, 00:59
I have been running Spybot 1.3 and just attempted to install update to 1.4. During the update, there was a problem because of a file that could not be overwritten. After retrying a few times, I aborted the install of the update.

Now I don't see how to retry the update?

Spybot 1.3 doesn't recognize that the update was not completed and indicates no newer updates available. Is there a way to get it to retry the install? I could download the newest version directly, but I would like to keep all the settings and registry records intact. Anyone know if this is possible if I just manually download the latest version? Anyone else seen problem with file that couldn't be overwritten. I had just rebooted my computer, so not much was running, but do have symantec antivirus running.

Thanks for any help.

spybotsandra
2007-06-19, 10:40
Hello,

Please uninstall the older version of Spybot - Search & Destroy before installing the new version.
In order to uninstall Spybot-S&D, please consider the following link:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
It is important to use the "very small fix".
Then download the new version of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4.
You will find links to several download locations on our website.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
Please search for new updates after installing Spybot-S&D 1.4.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

jbandy
2007-06-20, 01:59
Hello Sandra,

If I uninstall 1.3 first, will I lose all settings I have selected with previous version and previous records of registry when I install 1.4?

thanks,
jim

t001z
2007-06-21, 03:22
Hello Sandra,

If I uninstall 1.3 first, will I lose all settings I have selected with previous version and previous records of registry when I install 1.4?

thanks,
jim

Jim,

you should make a backup of the file "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Default configuration.ini" That will have your local configuration saved. After you remove 1.3 and install v1.4 (following Sandra's instruction) open Spybot to see if your configuration is as you had it in 1.3, if not, open the Spybot folder and make ANOTHER BACKUP of the NEW Default Configuration.ini. MAKE SURE SPYBOT IS NOT RUNNING.

Next take the first backup (from your 1.3 installation) of Default Configuration.ini and copy it to the Spybot folder. Restart Spybot 1.4 and check the configuration and it should be like your original 1.3 install.

Hope this helps,
t001z