PDA

View Full Version : Sidebar.exe

Zenobia
2007-06-23, 09:30
I'm not too sure how long it was like this,since I didn't look until today.My Windows Side Bar for Vista is showing up in my startup list as red.Has it listed as Search Centrix.

Was expecting it to be yellow,where it could either be bad or good.The description doesn't have the two descriptions like it usually does,either.
http://www.castlecops.com/s15046-Sidebar.html
http://www.castlecops.com/s3341-Sidebar.html

I wasn't too sure about putting this in the false positives forum,but I guess it fits.

Located: HK_CU:Run, Sidebar
where: S-1-5-19...
command: %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem
file: C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe
size: 1196032
MD5: 43632977504B323F8A41BF7A9965C453

where: S-1-5-20...
command: %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem
file: C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe

where: S-1-5-21-997792472-346656022-3166893597-1002...
command: C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
file: C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe

tashi
2007-06-24, 19:46
Thank you Zenobia, I made a note of this for the Team.

Zenobia
2007-06-24, 21:54
Thanks. :)

Yodama
2007-07-05, 07:51
hi,

the description on this has been changed so that Vista users need not be concerned anymore. I would be nice if you could confirm that the description is now properly displayed and fitting.

thanks for reporting.

Zenobia
2007-07-05, 08:40
Thanks. :)
I'm still just seeing the Searchcentrix Hijacker description,and it's still shown in red.

Yodama
2007-07-05, 09:27
thanks for the info,

it looks like the updated info hasn't been uploaded then , we will check again and upload it soon.

TonyL
2007-09-12, 02:34
I was searching for help on this topic too. Sidebar.exe still showing up as red and the description is still the same. I also found it interesting that teatimer.exe is in yellow color.

Yodama
2007-09-12, 07:35
hello,

well the actual information on the startup entries has been updated within the database, unfortunately we have not uploaded this with the updates. :oops:

We will catch up on this as soon as possible.

gopackgo
2007-09-20, 23:44
I have the same thing.

wchan23
2007-11-18, 10:07
Hi,

My windows sidebar couldn't run anymore after installing spybot. During the installation, it prompted that sidebar will be disabled/closed (can't remember the exact wordings). After that my sidebar could not be ran. Why is it so??

Please help urgently..thanks.

Yodama
2007-11-19, 16:03
Hi,

My windows sidebar couldn't run anymore after installing spybot. During the installation, it prompted that sidebar will be disabled/closed (can't remember the exact wordings). After that my sidebar could not be ran. Why is it so??

Please help urgently..thanks.

hello,

please tell us which versions of Windows and Spybot S&D you use. Also where you got the download of Spybot S&D. Did you activate the Teatimer ?

iftymo
2008-01-04, 23:07
In my Spybot startup window i have: %program files%\windows sidebar\sidebar.exe/detecmem (user S-1-5-19) and (user S-1-5-20) highlighted with a red bar. Which according to the help page is as follows:

Green: legitimate program
Yellow: unknown, unneeded or unambiguous program
Red: malicious program

I have searched the internet but have not found anything that clearly tells me this is a threat to my computer or just a windows sidebar operation.

Should i worry, what is it and what should i do?

Please advise

kind regards

Ifty

(ps i have windows vista on my laptop)

Zenobia
2008-01-05, 21:11
Where you have Windows Vista,this may likely be the startup entry for your windows sidebar.
At one time,Spybot displayed this startup entry as red whether it was the windows side bar or Search Centrix,see the first page of this thread.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=15238
But,since then there was an update put out that should make it display in yellow,and there's updated descriptions now if you click the arrow over to the right to see the description.Here's the description from mine:

Current filename: %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem

Database status: Necessity depends on users preferences
Value: Sidebar
Filename: Sidebar.exe

Description
If you are running Windows Vista it is a part of the operating system. But on other versions of Windows it can be a part of

Source: Paul Collins Startup list

Database status: Typically not required
Filename: dsidebar.exe

Description
"_Desktop Sidebar_ provides you with instant access to the information you most desire by grabbing data from your PC and the internet. The result is a dynamic visual display you configure and control"

Database status: Necessity depends on users preferences
Filename: sidebar.exe

Description
Windows Sidebar is a pane on the side of the Microsoft Windows Vista desktop where you can keep your gadgets organized and always available

Is it possible you might not have downloaded that update?If you check for an update with Spybot,it should display as updated Startup info,or something like that(I can't remember what it was called exactly.)