PDA

View Full Version : Does the Cancel button during update do anything?

LeaveNoTrace
2006-01-06, 23:20
I'm just curious....
Sometimes the mirrors have updates with bad checksums and the update stays on for a few minutes until it figures out that somthing's wrong. I usually figure it uut a bit earlier, so I try to click the Cancel button. When I do, nothing happens. So, I wanted to know: does the button hav any purpose, or is it there just for people to click on it and be satisfied when it finall closes by itself?
Thanks

Zenobia
2006-01-06, 23:37
I believe the cancel button not working is just a little boo-boo.
It's supposed to work,but it doesn't.

Oppressed
2006-01-07, 01:45
I agree.

I have the same problem on my XP computer.

Also, I just spent a very frustrating 30 minutes on the phone trying to help my (computer illiterate) mother close Spybot after it failed to download an update.

We finally ended up doing a control-alt-delete to close the program.

She may now be questioning if I knew what I was doing when I installed this and Ad-Aware on her new computer?

O

p.s. Do I need to have JavaScript enabled to use the smilies in these forums?

Zenobia
2006-01-07, 03:44
Well,disabling javascript,I'm unable to click the smilies and have them show in my post.Though typing in the smilie,it does show.--> :) You'd type in : followed by ) for the smilie icon,for example,if you didn't want to enable javascript.
hth.

Oppressed
2006-01-07, 04:46
Well,disabling javascript,I'm unable to click the smilies and have them show in my post.Though typing in the smilie,it does show.--> :) You'd type in : followed by ) for the smilie icon,for example,if you didn't want to enable javascript.
hth.

Thanks for the reply :)

I had visited this Topic by TonyKlein in the Malware forum:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279

and ended up here testing my system:

http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

One of the suggestions was to use the Notify or Disable feature with Active scripting but I got tired of being Notified at every change of webpage so I Disabled the feature which seemed to create the issue with the smilies :( This is I guess why some forums show the character makeups for smilies? Oh well, I turned the active scripting back on, hopefully I will remain a safe surfer.

O

Zenobia
2006-01-07, 06:00
You're welcome. :)
Here are the 15 smilies from the right,if you ever decide you want to disable active scripting again(in the order they appear,left to right):

:mad: :p ;)
:D :crowned: :bigthumb:
:o :angel: :)
:( :confused: :rolleyes:
:cool: :eek: :buried:

Oppressed
2006-01-07, 20:04
:flowers:

Thank you Zenobia :)

tashi
2006-01-07, 20:14
Also if you click on [More] in the smilie box it will show the codes for each one. :)

Oppressed
2006-01-07, 20:44
Also if you click on [More] in the smilie box it will show the codes for each one. :)

Thanks tashi.

And what should I find using that link; my all time favorite smilie hug:

:bighug:

(I have this saved on my old Windows 98SE computer @ full size.)