PDA

View Full Version : Wkdetect keeps appearing in Startup even with TeaTimer on

ZoneIII
2007-06-26, 14:36
For several months, I was able to block Wkdetect.exe from getting in Startup using TeaTimer. But a few days ago it appeared again and this time I just can't get TeaTimer to block it. (WkDetect is a Works program that looks for updates for Works programs.)

I take WkDetect out of the TeaTimer blacklist and then remove it from Startup using SpyBot. The TeaTimer windows comes up saying WkDetect has been deleted. I tell TeaTimer to allow the change but not to remember it. I then run a program that I know will try to put Wkdetect in Startup (Works Calendar) and tell TeaTimer to disallow the change and remember the decision but the next time I start up my PC, WkDetect is in Startup again.

I have tried everything I can think of with no luck. I have removed WkDetect from startup then deleted every register that has to do with WkDetect. I have tried re-starting the PC before putting it in the blacklist and when it re-boots I get the message that says that WkDetect has been deleted from startup. I tell it to allow the change but not remember it. Then when WkDetect tries to get into startup the next time and I get he TeaTimer message that says it has been added to Startup, I tell it to refuse the change and to remember that decision. Everything is fine until I re-start my PC and, when I do, there's WkDetect in Startup again and I get a message saying TeaTimer has refused the change based on my blacklist even though it was put in the blacklist after it was removed from Startup.

Some info out there says to delete or rename Program Files/Works/Wkdetect.exe but there is no such file on my PC. Even when I set my view options to show hidden files and do a search, no file with "wkdetect" in it is found. However, I can find it in registers and I delete all of those. Still no luck. WkDetect is back in Startup every time I re-start my PC. Other info says to change a setting in Works programs that allows the program to look for updates. I have no such option in any Works program.

Tom.K
2007-06-26, 19:42
Even when I set my view options to show hidden files and do a search, no file with "wkdetect" in it is found.
Maybe Wkdetect.exe has system and hidden attributes, so you can see file if you do next:
1. Open Control panel > Folder options > View.
2. Clear checkbox "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".
3. You will see a warning. Select "Yes".
Try finding now.

ZoneIII
2007-06-26, 21:05
Thanks, but as you can see in the last paragraph of my original post, I already tried that. The file still doesn't show up when I do a search for it or I navigate to the folder that is supposedly in.

Zenobia
2007-06-27, 00:37
Do you have Microsoft Works 8.5?I have works 8.5,and looking at my own program,those instructions to change a setting in Works programs that allows the program to look for updates doesn't seem to be in mine,either.I do not have anything for works in my startup,though.

There is a Works newsgroup here:
http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.works.win/topics?hl=en
I couldn't find much except older posts on wkdetect.exe.(from around 2002 to 2004)

There is Startup Monitor.You could give that a try,maybe.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml