PDA

View Full Version : Am I Infected?

nakedparrot
2007-06-29, 04:35
I posted my problem on another forum and it was suggested I post it here:

I am having the strangest problem - one I have never run into before in nearly 30 years of obsessing over computers and computer software. My Internet connection has gone all wonky. Let me try to explain what's happening:

My upload to the Internet works fine - most of the time. But my downloads, and that includes eMail, files, even web pages has slowed to a crawl so slow that even those using 300 baud modems, if anyone still is, would find it slow. Often it's so slow that it simply gives up and times out.

I am running a high-speed DSL connection, or supposed to be, but about two weeks ago this problem reared its ugly head and my system ground almost to a halt. The download speeds are sporadic, but always deathly slow. And it doesn't matter whether I'm running Vista Home Premium or Ultimate or if I'm using Internet Explorer or Firefox or Windows Mail or Thunderbird.

I have done four clean installs, tried with my system loaded and with just bare bones operating system. I'm running a P20 Toshiba laptop with 2GB ram and enough of everything else to run Vista Ultimate and all its features. I'm not having any other problems with my computer - just downloading (anything) from the Internet.

I have talked with my Service Provider, several times, and they have assured me, as you might expect, that everything on their end, including my DSL modem, is working fine. I have also talked to a very co-operative support tech at LinkSys who, after thoroughly going through my Wireless router settings, assures me that my router is working properly.

So, what does that leave? My computer? My software? I have even taken my laptop to another DSL source and found it still has the same problem. That indicates to me that the problem has got to be with my computer. But what? Is it a hardware problem in my computer? And, if so, what could it be and how would I go about testing it?

For those not familiar with it, this P20 Toshiba is an excellent laptop and I find
it hard to believe there's a hardware problem. But what else could it be?

Any hints, suggestions, help, would be very much appreciated. I really don't want to buy a new computer right now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

nakedparrot