PDA

View Full Version : HELP Removing Malware

chicoroy
2007-06-29, 15:29
SpyBot scans keep returning this item, in red:
"Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer" which details as:
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1708537768-527237240-725345543-1004-Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe!=W=1

Four removals of this same item are sitting in SpyBot Recovery. Have tried removing it in Safe Mode...no luck.

Anyone know what this is? Appreciate your help, with thanks.

Mr_JAk3
2007-06-30, 18:04
Hello chicoroy :)

Please read this topic, it should give you the answer.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=7312

Let me know if you have any questions :bigthumb:

chicoroy
2007-07-01, 04:22
Thank you Mr_Jak3 in Finland.....nice to see someone is in good humour on this site!

I've followed the numerous links dealing with the exact same issue as mine, and to be truthful, am just as confused as ever. And I don't know how to edit the registry.
Can I just get Spybot to ignore this error and forget about it? My PC is running fine and I don't want to stress out over something needlessly.

By the way, my O/S is WinXP Home SP2

chicoroy
2007-07-01, 16:21
After following numerous links to previous threads with same issue, I found one that seemed to have an easy solution. I tried it and it worked. Here it is:

Close all windows and other browsers except Internet Explorer. Then
Tools>Internet Options>Advanced, then scroll down to "Security" heading and note the first three items, which are:
* Allow active content from CDs.......
* Allow active content to run in files......
* Allow software to run or install even if......

The boxes next to each one should be unchecked. Now, CHECK each of the three boxes, click Apply then click OK. Close Internet Explorer.

Re-launch Internet Explorer, go to same three items under "Security", and now UNCHECK the boxes of those same three boxes. Click Apply then click OK.

Close Internet Explorer(and everything else) and run a Spybot scan. It should come out clean.....no more red flags called Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer

Voila, sounds insane but it works! (my O/S is WinXP Home SP2 and I recently installed Office 2003, which apparently triggered the registry change).
:bigthumb:

Mr_JAk3
2007-07-01, 17:16
As the problem appears to be resolved this topic has been archived.

If you need it re-opened please send a private message (pm) to a forum staff member and provide a link to the thread; this applies only to the original topic starter.

Glad we could help :2thumb: