PDA

View Full Version : Torpig Deleted (maybe)

RichKorea
2007-07-04, 03:12
Like several others, when I recently ran Spybot, I found that I had the Torpig trojan. Spybot was highlighting two files, $_2341233.TMP and $_2341234.TMP as the problem files ($_2341233.tmp had a record of all of the key strokes that I had entered into Internet Explorer). When Spybot was unable to delete the files, I turned to the forum postings to see if anyone had found a solution. I went through the responses from the security experts (Shaba, shelf life, md usa spybot fan, and pskelley), and went through the process of checking my system with HijackThis.exe and VundoFix.exe. I also use the HijackThis delete-on-boot function to remove the two identified files. Spybot report that Torpig was still present.

I tried the Microsoft Protection Center (http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/center/howsafe.htm), which did find a number of issues, including problems in the system-volume-information on both the hard drive in my laptop as well as an external USB hard drive. After the scan completed and the found problems were fixed, I reran Spybot, which still reported the Torpig trojan.

I did some more searching on the internet and found the ScanSpyware site, which had a lot of information regarding the Torpig trojan, including a warning about files named ibm0000*.dll and ibm0000*.exe. I did a search on my hard drive and found two dll files (ibm00001.dll and ibm00002.dll) in the Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders. I did not find an ibm0000*.exe file, so I did a search on my hard drive for any file with a creation date the same as the two dll files and I found a file, mhd.exe with the same creation date and time as the two dll files. I quarantined the three files and ran Spybot, which reported back a clean bill of health.

What I’m not sure of is what was calling the mhd.exe file. I checked the reg file I had saved prior to running the Microsoft scan as well as a HijackThis log file, but neither file had a reference to mhd.exe. I’m wondering if there’s another file laying dormant on my hard drive that will reinstall the trojan when I’m not looking.

pskelley
2007-07-04, 15:40
Welcome to Safer Networking, I wish to be sure you have viewed and understand this information. "BEFORE you POST" (READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
All advice given is taken at your own risk.
Please make sure you have read this information so we are on the same page.

It's hard to say without more information. The HJT log is often just the first step, sometimes multiple scans are required.
If you read and follow the directions, we will work together to see what we can find out.

Thanks...Phil