PDA

View Full Version : C:\Program Files

NighTTripper
2007-07-05, 05:02
I want to ask a serious question. Why do software sites set the install folder to the Microsoft dumping ground C:\Program Files? I use IRC and it makes it hard to load scripts into mIRC as you HAVE TO include Quotes in the path, like this:

"C:\Program Files\mirc\filename"

Try explaining THAT to a "newbe"

md usa spybot fan
2007-07-05, 08:32
NighTTripper:

Take up your complaint with Microsoft

Firstly the environment variable %ProgramFiles% variable points to Program Files directory, which stores all the installed programs of Windows and others. The default is C:\Program Files (English language).

Also from the following for example:
Windows Logo Program
http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/e/e/deed938b-25ac-4943-8dba-cfc78d05a2ff/AppSpec22.doc

2.5 Install to Program Files by default

By default, the application must install into an appropriate sub-directory where the current user’s program files are stored.
If you are using the Windows Installer, this folder is represented by the ProgramFilesFolder property in a Windows Installer-based package. (The ProgramFilesFolder property is a variable that exposes the path to the Program Files folder, and the Windows Installer sets that variable appropriately on all Windows platforms.)
If you are not using the Windows Installer, the recommended method is to use SHGetFolderPath API to retrieve the string represented by the CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES value. On English-language systems, this folder is often C:\Program Files. However, do not hard-code that path, even for use on English systems, because it is not universal.

NighTTripper
2007-07-06, 14:11
NighTTripper:

Take up your complaint with Microsoft

Firstly the environment variable %ProgramFiles% variable points to Program Files directory, which stores all the installed programs of Windows and others. The default is C:\Program Files (English language).

Also from the following for example:
Windows Logo Program
http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/e/e/deed938b-25ac-4943-8dba-cfc78d05a2ff/AppSpec22.doc

Isn't SpyBot good enough to warrant it's own folder? It's not the fault of Microsoft, but vendors, third party, that keep using this dump ground for their install folder. I'm not having a go at you, but pointing the fault in the right direction. :)

If I was a software vendor, I certainly would make sure my product stood out, instead of being effectively buried under a generic folder like "Program files"