PDA

View Full Version : How do I allow a registry change?

Iggy2007
2007-07-06, 04:40
Hello. I am unable to do a registry change using system startup in tools. I keep getting the message "20:55 Registry change denied." I am running Windows 98SE so I do think it has anything to do with admin rights. I.e., I am trying to get Qttask to not load when I boot up. I also tried changing this value using MSCONFIG in the start up tab, but I get the same message.
Thanks. Iggy.

spybotsandra
2007-07-06, 11:07
Hello,

Perhaps you have clicked the notification from the Resident TeaTimer away instead of allowing it, because you can't read the buttons clearfully.

This is a little bug in version 1.4:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2005-06-22.html
We have already been able to locate and fix it. The fix will be downloadable with our next program upgrade. We hope that it will be available soon. As a current solution you can work with your keyboard. Use the cursor keys to switch between the buttons ("Allow" is on the left, "Deny" on the right) and the space key to enter your selection. You can also press "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". The Checkbox for "Remember this decision" will work correctly in spite of the graphical issue.
If you don't like to use the above workarounds you can disable TeaTimer as follows: - Go into Spybot - Mode - Advanced Mode - Tools - Resident.
- Uncheck the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.
For more information please have a look here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=44
And you'll find a little workaround here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Iggy2007
2007-07-07, 18:15
Thanks for your help, Sandra. I followed your instructions and was able to change the registry "temporarily." Now I am getting a new message stating that the entry is denied based on my "black list." Is that a Spybot thing, or something in my system settings, or maybe even something in the Quick Time player? Thanks. Iggy2007.

md usa spybot fan
2007-07-07, 18:35
Iggy2007:

If you checked "Remember this decision" on a change the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" changes based on your white list or "Deny" changes based on your black list. To edit this information:Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":

Allowed processes
Blocked processes
Allowed registry changes
Blocked registry changes

Note: If you don't see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

You can review all the entries that you have stored by clicking on these buttons. The entries that you should review are in "Allowed registry changes" (white list) and "Blocked registry changes" (black list). You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done. This will in effect make TeaTimer forget what you told it to remember so that during future changes to these items TeaTimer will issue a pop-up dialog rather then just a notification pop-up.

Iggy2007
2007-07-07, 19:19
Thanks for your quick response, md usa spybot fan! That solved it. Now, do we mark threads as solved in this forum?
Thanks again.
Iggy 2007.

md usa spybot fan
2007-07-07, 22:48
You're welcome. Threads in this forum don't get marked "solved", "resolved", etc.