PDA

View Full Version : 1st notify from Spybot scan

cybergran
2006-01-08, 10:32
:confused: Hi...My computer is one month old & when I purchased it I installed Norton Security Suite 2005 which turned off my windows XP SP2 firewall...I scan every few days & have not had any negative results...Tonight I scanned again and this was the result...."Windows Security Center Firewall..Disable Notify...the next line states: "settings..HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ Software/Microsoft/Sec" ... registry change...when I hit the icon on the right hand side it comes up "My Computer" etc with the HKEY etc.....Do I need to do anything about this & if so how do I do it...My thoughts are that it is just notifying me that Windows firewall is turned off..I have checked & NIS is turned on...Thanx for your input...

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-08, 13:59
That detection is not because you have the Windows Firewall turned off. It is because Norton is overriding the alerts of the Windows Security Center. Windows Security Center is capable of monitoring Norton’s firewall as well as their anti-virus product and alerting if they are not loaded. Norton actually turns off the Windows Security Center alerts.

You can see that these alerts have been turn off if you go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window. There are three possible alerts:
Firewall
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
Automatic Updates
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
Virus Protection
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings
I believe that you will find that one or more of these alerts have been turned off. For more of an explanation please see these posts:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=927&postcount=2
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=216&postcount=2

cybergran
2006-01-08, 20:23
thanks for the answer...it is much appreciated...I have fixed the problem I hope...the firewall alert was turned off so I turned it on again...That may have happened when I had an automatic update from windows the other day...I haven't run a scan since then....Thanks have a nice day

cybergran
2006-01-09, 09:13
:crowned: then I ran spybot again & the problem is fixed...thanx for the support it is much appreciated...have a nice evening...