PDA

View Full Version : RadLight detection only based on .RPK extension?

ltfrd
2007-07-20, 18:28
Hi,
I know a little about the RadLight / Ad-Aware issue, and it looks like Spybot chose the Ad-Aware side. Fine. But RadLight media player has been "detected" by spybot on my machine. The Problem is: I never installed any RadLight product.

Apparently this detection is based on the file extension ".rpk" being registered in windows registry. Unfortunately I have another software (legit) installed that is using the same extension: Caphyion Advanced Installer, a tool to create installers for software developpers. That's what regedit told to me.

Fortunately I was suspicious about having the RadLight software on my machine, so I checked regedit to verify that Spybot was making a mistake.

To Spybot's developpers: Spybot is a great tool, but can you update this particular detection to not only rely on file extension?
To other users and googlers possibly having the same issue: check as deep as possible before "fixing" anything on your machine.

md usa spybot fan
2007-07-20, 18:43
Would you please post the actual detection you are getting, I personally would like to see it. In addition the actual detection may be helpful to the member of Team Spybot who investigates your problem. To do that:
Run another scan.
When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread.
Thanks

Yodama
2007-07-23, 17:02
thank you for reporting,

the issue has been found and will be corrected with the next update.

also thanks mda usa spybot fan for requesting a scan log since we usually need it for finding possilbe false positves ;)