PDA

View Full Version : different malicious spywares detected by different antispyware

ommrjc
2006-01-10, 04:02
Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I have been using Spybot for well over a year and a half as my only anti-spyware, and I have been very pleased. I had a question regarding certain spywares that spybot found and did not find.

I had decided to run a test with four different spyware detectors, and each one found different high risk programs.

Xoftspy found IBIS, and CWS only
Spy Sweeper found ICU Surf only
Spyware Detector found neither
Spybot found neither

All of the reported files were in the Windows Registry. After reading up, I was under the impression that all four of these programs should find all three of these spywares.

1. Am I at risk!?! or would I be safe to assume that Spybot had detected these programs long ago (that I may have forgotten about) and that the other programs were detecting registry remnants that had been left behind?

2. This shows my novice, but can certain spywares be exist just in the registry?

3. If these are just remnants, I am pleased with spybot and don’t want to buy any of these other programs. Can I simply remove the registry threads they detected in RegEdit? Is there any method for assuring I have gotten any other leftovers - since all of these antispywares detect different threads? Any really reliable registry cleaners?

Thank you, to anyone with insight!

tashi
2006-01-12, 18:15
Hi there.
Please read here and make sure none of your programs are on the list.
Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites (http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#notes)

If you would like a log checked for any problems:
Open SpyBot, check for and get any updates available, close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found. Then on the toolbar menu select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools, and view report, ensure all the options are selected near the bottom except

Uncheck[ ] do not report disabled or known legitimate Items.
uncheck[ ] Include a list of services in report.
Uncheck[ ] Include uninstall list in report.

Now select (near the top) view report.
Press export in the save in box choose a place such as your my documents folder, then in your next post near the bottom select the "browse" button; navigate to and attach or post that report please.

Cheers. :)