PDA

View Full Version : Is Panda Activescan Good or Bad?

photius
2006-01-10, 04:04
I am new to malware removal (other than simply using Norton AV, Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware SE). A few days ago I got hit by SpySheriff. After trying to remove it using instructions found elsewhere on the internet, I finally came to my senses and checked these Safer Networking Forums. I am most of the way thru instructions from another post in these forums for removing SpySheriff and am planning to post the specified logs. I'm ready to run the recommended Panda Activescan. For some reason, I decided to actually read the "conditions of use" and "legal notice" on the Panda web site. (I never usually read this stuff.) I am a little concerned about a couple of things it said. It says that they have the right to automatically download software to my computer, now and in the future. It also says that they have the right to share my personal information with just about whomever they wish, world-wide, including for whatever marketing or other purposes they choose. Can I trust this software or not? How do I know that it is not actually installing spyware on my system? Sorry to be so paranoid, but that did give me pause.