PDA

View Full Version : I can't run spybot from scheduled tasks

pab07
2007-07-29, 00:24
Using Spybot: 1.4
Windows XP: version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254:service pack 2)

I can run Spybot from start run with the line below, but when I put it in scheduled tasks it want run, here is what's in scheduled tasks, any ideas?
Thanks

Run: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck /autoupdate

Start in: C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1

md usa spybot fan
2007-07-29, 05:29
Spybot uses the OS scheduler. In Windows XP the user account that adds the schedule entry must have a password. See:
Scheduled Tasks cannot run with a blank password
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310715
There is workaround for the password requirement in Windows XP. See the following thread:
Scheduling a Spybot scan under Windows XP
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1828

pab07
2007-07-29, 14:42
Thanks, I have ad-aware se plus set up to run under scheduled tasks and it runs ok without a password?
I did have another user on this computer at one time and I may have put in the ad-aware scheduled then, do you think that if that is the case windows would have somehow keep the password even after I deleted the account and took the password off my account?

md usa spybot fan
2007-07-29, 17:07
You can tell what user a scheduled task is set to run under as follows:
Go into Control Panel.
Scheduled Tasks (if you are in Category mode click Performance and Maintenance first).
Right click on the scheduled task and select Properties.
The "Run as:" block will tell you the user that the task is scheduled to run under.
If a user is deleted I don't know how it could be authorized to run a task.

The bottom line is: On a Windows XP system in order to schedule Spybot using Scheduled Tasks you either need a password or use the workaround that I referenced.

pab07
2007-07-29, 19:23
Under run as both are my name, but the ad-aware one works but the spy bot one want run, the password for ad-aware is grayed out, so I think I may have set that one up when I had a password for my name and somehow windows kept it maybe even after I deleted the password?

Again thanks for the information, I will just put a password back on my account.

Johnny Ramone
2007-08-24, 20:51
This question has nothing to do with Sbybot. I know how to schedule a task but can I schedule a task that opens up an application that requires a user name and password to be entered and have the user name and password entered automatically to run the application?

Thanks all!

nelsonm
2007-09-25, 00:05
Just enter "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" in the "Run As" field of the "Task" panel. no password required.

regards,