PDA

View Full Version : How to make your own custom Disk Defragmenter

higgypac
2007-07-30, 00:03
I use this instead of manually doing it with Disk Defragmenter found in system32 or Control Panel. It's good for automatic maintenance. You might want to print this tutorial out.
(Recommended for Windows XP Admin users only.)

Making the Custom Disk Defragmenter batch file.
Step 1: Open Notepad.
Step 2: Type: defrag c: /f
Step 3: Click File.
Step 4: Click Save As.
Step 5: Set Save as type as All files..
Step 6: Type Defragment My Computer.bat for the File name.
Step 7: Save on directory C: for easy access. (It doesn't really matter what folder you save it in as long as you have access to it.)

Setting up your Disk Defragmenter File to run at Startup for a single User Account.
Step 1: Go to the destination folder the file is saved in.
Step 2: Right-click on the file and click Copy.
Step 3: Right-click on the Start button and click Open.
Step 4: Double click Programs and double click Startup.
Step 5: Once in the Startup folder, right click and click Paste Shortcut.

Setting up your Disk Defragmenter File to run at Startup for a All User Accounts.
Step 1: Go to the destination folder the file is saved in.
Step 2: Right-click on the file and click Copy.
Step 3: Right-click on the Start button and click Open All Users.
Step 4: Double click Programs and double click Startup.
Step 5: Once in the Startup folder, right click and click Paste Shortcut.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(These Next steps are optional, but are good to use in order to make the program more user friendly with nicer visuals.)

Customizing your Disk Defragmenter File with a specified Title.
Step 1: Go to the destination folder the shortcut is in.
Step 2: Right-click on the shortcut and click Properties.
Step 3: Click the General tab. Type in Defragmenting My Computer at the top by the icon.
Step 4: Click Apply and then click Ok.

Customizing your Disk Defragmenter File to run in Minimized mode.
Step 3: Set the Run property to Minimized.
Customizing your Disk Defragmenter File with a specified Icon.
Step 3: Click Change Icon and double click on the icon you want for the Shortcut like the Defragmenter Icon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After doing all this, you can safely close any folders that may be open. To make sure that this works, you'll notice a program is running at startup in minimized mode in Command Prompt when you start or restart your computer. You can click on it to see what it is doing as it does in it's Graphical User Interface form, analyze and defragments. It will close by itself when defragmentation is done.

I also recommend using Disk Cleaner that can be found at http://www.diskcleaner.nl and NTREGOPT found at hxxp://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt.

Tutorial written and created on July 21, 2007 authored by Bob (aka the evil green sea monster of the deep), your gremlin in cyberspace.

tashi
2007-07-30, 00:58
Hello.

I noticed that both links you provided have disclaimers:

Language files

In this section you can download different language files for ERUNT / NTREGOPT. They have been created by various users, who translated the original .LOC files into their language, and therefore I cannot take any guarantee for proper functionality or correctness of the translations.

Please note: Disk Cleaner is provided as is, without any warranty. Though it is my fullest intention to let Disk Cleaner delete only files that should be perfectly safe to be deleted, in the case that it doesn't, I have no responsibility for this.

Windows users should go directly to Microsoft help pages for information on maintaining their machine, and then cross refer so they have the bigger picture. :)

higgypac
2007-08-01, 11:19
Windows users should go directly to Microsoft help pages for information on maintaining their machine, and then cross refer so they have the bigger picture. :) Sadly enough, Microsoft doesn't really support nor endorse older applications such as Microsoft RegClean anymore. Good program capable of cleaning out registry errors without any noticeable damage.:bigthumb: