PDA

View Full Version : Windows Security fighting with Norton

desertdune
2007-08-01, 16:19
Greetings,
I was using Norton Internet Security 2005 and got several notices that the anti-virus had expired. I prefer to have a CD in hand rather than download in case I ever need to reload, so I went to Office Max and bought Norton Antivirus 2007. Had to uninstall all of 2005 and then install the 2007 version. Fine.

All has been well except that everytime I run Spybot it finds Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled.

When I click on the + sign to expand, it shows Settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wcsvc\Start!=W=2

I've read a number of threads in this forum (from 2005/2006). Did Run-->services.msc, found the security center file and it was set to automatic.

Any other ideas?

Everything on my computer seems to be running fine, but I trust Windows Security more than Norton and would prefer to make that the dominant security feature.

Many thanks!

md usa spybot fan
2007-08-01, 17:30
See if post #3 (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=83603&postcount=3) in the following thread helps:
I need some help with Microsoft windows securitycenter_disabled
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=13399

desertdune
2007-08-01, 17:52
what a relief! thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :)

md usa spybot fan
2007-08-01, 18:54
desertdune:

Question: Did you restore the functionality of Windows Security Center from within Norton and if so were the instructions sufficient and accurate?

Regards,
md usa spybot fan

desertdune
2007-08-01, 19:04
"Question: Did you restore the functionality of Windows Security Center from within Norton and if so were the instructions sufficient and accurate?"

I followed the directions to open Norton-->options-->select Show messages from Windows Security Center

then I did another SpyBot scan and nothing was noted. Will do a full shut down and restart and scan when my clients quit calling ;-)

md usa spybot fan
2007-08-01, 19:32
desertdune:

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Since I don't have Norton and because of the lack of feedback on prior posts, I was never able to verify if those instructions worked property.

md usa spybot fan

desertdune
2007-08-03, 23:59
Hi md,
Just wanted to confirm...after restarting and running my computer for a few days all is well. SpyBot is not giving me the message anymore and everything on my computer is running normally.

thanks, again, for your help! :)