PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling the Demo Spybot Program

Martin von Dehn
2007-08-12, 21:12
My mother downloaded the demonstration program. Now she has asked me to remove it from her system. By following the uninstall instructions, I attempted to locate it in the Add or Remove Program section. It was not listed. Next, I used Windows Explorer to locate the Spybot directory in the 'Program Files' folder. Having located the directory I attempted to delete it. This resulted in an error message popping up informing me that I either did not have permission to access this directory or that my hard disk was write-protected. As I was logged in as an 'Administrator' I found this mmessage disconcerting.

I decided to remove the program on a file by file basis. Things were progressing smoothly, but then I started receiving the same error message. What do I do now? Will that program the website states I should download and execute after removing the directory solve this problem? Please be so kind as to advise me on my next move.

Everytime I attempt to send a message to the support team I eceive an error concerning those characters that I am suposed to enter at the end.

Thank You!

md usa spybot fan
2007-08-12, 22:23
Spybot - Search & Destroy does not have a demonstration program, so from your description I can be sure that Spybot - Search & Destroy was even installed.

The current version of Spybot - Search & Destroy is Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 and the installation program is spybotsd14.exe.

When Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 is installed there is normally an entry made in Add or Remove Programs of "Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4".

You indicated that you attempted to delete the entries in the "… Spybot directory in the 'Program Files' folder. … Having located the directory I attempted to delete it. This resulted in an error message popping up … I decided to remove the program on a file by file basis. Things were progressing smoothly, but then I started receiving the same error message. What do I do now?".

Please indicate the name of the directory that you are attempting to delete files from, the name of the files that cannot be deleted and the exact content of the error messages you are receiving.

If in fact Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 was installed, it is possible that there are processes still running that were not terminated and that could prevent you from deleting the active program files.