PDA

View Full Version : Fake Wget

The Frankman
2007-08-15, 02:12
Hello, I'm new to the board but Googled and have read procedures here. I was about to use my PhotoShop program recently when it said I didn't have admin procedures on my computer, which automatically I knew I was screwed because only I use it.

I immediately ran a SpyBot search which showed the two file errors called Fake W.get in the registry. I deleted them but of course they showed up upon reboot. I ran another search and saw the keys in a new registry location, and after reading your forum of how to deal with them neither importing a registry fix or cleaning the registry seem to work. I've managed to avoid/work past the mini-distractions, like my Shut Down/Run buttons disappearing and other functions not working, but as a game writer/reviewer not being able to use image editors for my articles is killing me! :sad:

I'm about to post a HJT log but this computer is online only when I bring it to my relatives house, so I can't do an online scan right now.

Thanks in advance,
The Frankman

Here is the View Report from SpyBot:
--- Search result list ---
Fake.Wget: Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2025429265-1604221776-725345543-1003\Software\Wget

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wget

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:04:05 PM, on 8/14/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svehost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.3\J2GTray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\The Frankman\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] ---"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] ---"C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] ---"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eFax 4.3] ---"C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.3\J2GDllCmd.exe" /R
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinxDiagUpdate] ---WinxDiagUpdate
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Updates] svehost.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [WinxDiagUpdate] WinxDiagUpdate
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Updates] svehost.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] ---"C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] ---"C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WInUpdate16] C:\WINDOWS\system32\udate32.exe
O4 - Global Startup: eFax 4.3.lnk = C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.3\J2GTray.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1176526752359
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - ---"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service for DVE (ICDSPTSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ICDSPTSV.EXE
O23 - Service: Office Source Engine (ose) - Unknown owner - ---"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Source Engine\OSE.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - ---"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNetwk.exe (file missing)

pskelley
2007-08-15, 14:14
Welcome to Safer Networking, I wish to be sure you have viewed and understand this information.
"BEFORE you POST" (READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
All advice given is taken at your own risk.
Please make sure you have read this information so we are on the same page.

Sorry to be ther bearer of bad news:sad: but you have some nasty infections.
http://www.castlecops.com/startuplist-15211.html
http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/w32rbotgrw.html
Allows others to access the computer
Installs itself in the Registry
Used in DOS attacks
Enables remote access
Aliases Backdoor.Win32.Rbot.gen
W32/Backdoor.ANWV

That is not all of the trojans you have but this one concerns me for your security and safety, so I need to give you this information:

A Backdoor is a software program that gives an attacker unauthorized access to a machine and the means for remotely controlling the machine without the user's knowledge. A Backdoor compromises system integrity by making changes to the system that allow it to by used by the attacker for malicious purposes unknown to the user.

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.
This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and Download and Execute files
I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.
Though the Trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of Trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10451

When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10063

Please let us know what you have decided to do in your next post.

Thanks

The Frankman
2007-08-17, 02:54
*sigh* I really want to avoid having to do a reformat/reinstall for now (this would be 2nd one this year) and don't use the computer for anything really sensitive so I'd like to see if I can get rid of what I have first. Ironically, I know how I got these and usually avoid the methods that have led to this/research other options better.

If I can at least quarantine what I have so it will not be a problem I'll be happy, and I look to try and proceed Sunday (earilest I can hook my own computer to the net). What do you suggest is my first step in ridding my computer of these problems?

pskelley
2007-08-17, 12:08
Thanks for responding and once again sorry to have to deliver bad news. I understand that you wish to clean the computer as good as we can and I will be glad to assist with this.

I suggest you keep the computer offline except when troubleshooting the problem. This is the first step, please read and follow the directions carefully.

Thanks to andymanchesta and anyone else who helped with the fix.

Download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.
http://downloads.andymanchesta.com/RemovalTools/SDFix.exe

Double click SDFix.exe and it will extract the files to %systemdrive%
(Drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix)

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
Restart your computer
After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
Choose your usual account.
Open the extracted SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
It will remove any Trojan Services and Registry Entries that it finds then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
When the PC restarts the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt
(Report.txt will also be copied to Clipboard ready for posting back on the forum).
Finally paste the contents of the Report.txt back on the forum with a new HijackThis log

Thanks

The Frankman
2007-08-21, 04:35
Here is the list of my updated processes:

SDFix: Version 1.99
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\SDFix

Safe Mode:
Checking Services:

Restoring Windows Registry Values
Restoring Windows Default Hosts File

Rebooting...

Normal Mode:
Checking Files:

Trojan Files Found:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\plugin1.dat - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svehost.exe - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SysPr.prx - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WinxDiagUpdate - Deleted

Removing Temp Files...

ADS Check:
C:\WINDOWS
No streams found.

C:\WINDOWS\system32
No streams found.

No streams found.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
No streams found.

Final Check:

Remaining Services:
------------------

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\uTorrent\\utorrent.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\uTorrent\\utorrent.exe:*:Enabled:ęTorrent"
"C:\\Program Files\\YVD\\n00b-IRC.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\YVD\\n00b-IRC.exe:*:Enabled:n00b-IRC"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\Loader\\aolload.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\Loader\\aolload.exe:*:Enabled:AOL Loader"
"C:\\Program Files\\SmartFTP Client\\SmartFTP.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\SmartFTP Client\\SmartFTP.exe:*:Enabled:SmartFTP Client 2.5"
"C:\\Program Files\\YVD\\YGO Virtual Desktop V086.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\YVD\\YGO Virtual Desktop V086.exe:*:Enabled:YGO Virtual Desktop Executable"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\dpvsetup.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\dpvsetup.exe:*:Enabled:Microsoft DirectPlay Voice Test"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\dxdiag.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\dxdiag.exe:*:Enabled:Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool"
"C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avginet.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avginet.exe:*:Enabled:avginet.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgamsvr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgamsvr.exe:*:Enabled:avgamsvr.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgcc.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgcc.exe:*:Enabled:avgcc.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgemc.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgemc.exe:*:Enabled:avgemc.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"

Remaining Files:
---------------

File Backups: - C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip
Registry Backups: - C:\SDFix\backups\backupreg.zip
Full Registry Backup: - C:\WINDOWS\ERUNT\SDFIX\ERDNT.EXE

Files with Hidden Attributes:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\Cache\Indiv01.tmp

Finished

Scan saved at 10:10:15 PM, on 8/20/2007

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\The Frankman\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] ---"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] ---"C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] ---"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eFax 4.3] ---"C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.3\J2GDllCmd.exe" /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] ---"C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] ---"C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - Global Startup: eFax 4.3.lnk = C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.3\J2GTray.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1176526752359
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - ---"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service for DVE (ICDSPTSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ICDSPTSV.EXE
O23 - Service: Office Source Engine (ose) - Unknown owner - ---"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Source Engine\OSE.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - ---"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNetwk.exe (file missing)

pskelley
2007-08-21, 12:43
Thanks for returning your information, please read and follow the directions carefully.

1) How to make files and folders visible:
Click Start > Open My Computer.
Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm. Click OK.
You may reverse this for safety when we are finished.

2) Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune
http://www.atribune.org/content/view/25/2/
Save it to your Desktop. We will use this later.

3) Move HJT from the Desktop for safety. I prefer C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe, if you need additional instructions use these: http://russelltexas.com/malware/createhjtfolder.htm
If you must run from the Desktop, create a folder where logs and backups can safely store, see this:
C:\Documents and Settings\The Frankman\Desktop\HJT\HijackThis.exe

4) Ad-Aware 2007 <<< this is new and information is limited. It may block changes we must make, exit it or turn it off until you finish.

5) Open HijackThis and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows, then click on "Fix Checked"

6) RIGHT Click on Start then click on Explore. Locate and delete these items:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\udate32.exe <<< delete that file

7) Run ATF Cleaner
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Click Select All found at the bottom of the list.
Click the Empty Selected button.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Restart and post a new HJT log, tell me about any malware issues at that point.

Thanks

The Frankman
2007-08-21, 20:47
Restart and post a new HJT log, tell me about any malware issues at that point.

Scan saved at 1:43:35 PM, on 8/21/2007

Running processes:
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

I have also noticed the original Fake W.get bug/registry entry is still there. Here is the report via Spybot:

--- Search result list ---
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2025429265-1604221776-725345543-1003\Software\Wget

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wget

Lastly, I'm still getting the messages synonymous w/ the prior Trojan, which is getting messages saying my account doesn't have admin access when I'm the only user. Basically I can't access properly any of my Photoshop programs.

pskelley
2007-08-21, 22:01
Please make sure your version of Spybot is totally updated and immunized, run the scan according to the instructions in the "Before we Post" Directions.
If Spybot S&D finds it, it should remove it.

messages synonymous w/ the prior TrojanI need all error messages word for word, that is the only way I can research them. I am not sure about Photoshop? If the malware damaged something in the software, then you may have to reinstall it.

Let's have Kaspersky take a look for anything that may be hiding.

Run this online scan using Internet Explorer:
Kaspersky Online Scanner from http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

Next Click on Launch Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.

* The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
* Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
* Now click on Scan Settings
* In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
* Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
* Standard
* Scan Options:
* Scan Archives
* Scan Mail Bases
* Click OK
* Now under select a target to scan:
* Select My Computer
* This will program will start and scan your system.
* The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
* Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
* Now click on the Save as Text button:
* Save the file to your desktop.

Then post it here.

Thanks

The Frankman
2007-08-22, 05:48
Please make sure your version of Spybot is totally updated and immunized, run the scan according to the instructions in the "Before we Post" Directions.

If Spybot S&D finds it, it should remove it.
I need all error messages word for word, that is the only way I can research them. I am not sure about Photoshop? If the malware damaged something in the software, then you may have to reinstall it.
oops my bad, I may have erred. Spybot has found them and always deletes it, but on a restart the Fake W.get shows up. I can't get rid of the entry in the registry either. As posted in the first post:

I immediately ran a SpyBot search which showed the two file errors called Fake W.get in the registry. I deleted them but of course they showed up upon reboot. I ran another search and saw the keys in a new registry location, and after reading your forum of how to deal with them neither importing a registry fix or cleaning the registry seem to work.

Photoshop isn't damaged or anything, it's just that the computer thinks I have a Guest account or something. As for the online scan ... I'll see if I can drag my computer and use another line for it. The scan will be into my next post.

The Frankman
2007-08-23, 05:03
First thing, I just updated everything on my computer and found out the cause of some of the files was the AVG program I had downloaded. I switched to avast!, uninstalled the infected AVG and had the files deleted (5). However, 4 weren't deleted, saying they were archived so I ran the avast! scan to see if that would work. No dice so far...

Here is my scan:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER REPORT
Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:00:37 PM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 5.0.93.0
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 23/08/2007
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 363406
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan Settings:
Scan using the following antivirus database: standard
Scan Archives: true
Scan Mail Bases: true

Scan Target - My Computer:
C:\
D:\
E:\

Scan Statistics:
Total number of scanned objects: 69929
Number of viruses found: 3
Number of infected objects: 6
Number of suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan process: 01:01:12

Infected Object Name / Virus Name / Last Action
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SecEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SOFTWARE Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\DEFAULT Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Antivirus.Evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.MAP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING1.MAP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING2.MAP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.MAP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\_avast4_\Webshlock.txt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_4b0.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Debug\PASSWD.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\The Frankman\NTUSER.DAT.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\The Frankman\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\The Frankman\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\The Frankman\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\The Frankman\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\The Frankman\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\The Frankman\ntuser.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report\Resident protection.txt Object is locked skipped
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\nshield.log Object is locked skipped
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\AshWebSv.ws Object is locked skipped
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\aswMaiSv.log Object is locked skipped
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\integ\avast.int Object is locked skipped
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\aswResp.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.db Object is locked skipped
C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip/backups/WinxDiagUpdate Infected: Backdoor.Win32.Rbot.bwq skipped
C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip ZIP: infected - 1 skipped
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D262C14E-C896-4396-AA51-FE6A1B9E7F0B}\RP203\A0024116.exe/data0000.cab/demonoid.com Infected: Trojan.Win32.Pakes skipped
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D262C14E-C896-4396-AA51-FE6A1B9E7F0B}\RP203\A0024116.exe/data0000.cab Infected: Trojan.Win32.Pakes skipped
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D262C14E-C896-4396-AA51-FE6A1B9E7F0B}\RP203\A0024116.exe Rsrc-Package: infected - 2 skipped
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D262C14E-C896-4396-AA51-FE6A1B9E7F0B}\RP208\change.log Object is locked skipped
D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp Object is locked skipped
D:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase Object is locked skipped
D:\System Volume Information\_restore{D262C14E-C896-4396-AA51-FE6A1B9E7F0B}\RP208\change.log Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB833407$\bssym7.ttf Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\callcont.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\cmdevtgprov.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\evtgprov.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\h323.tsp Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\h323msp.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\helpctr.exe Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\ipnathlp.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\lsasrv.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\mf3216.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\msasn1.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\msgina.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\mst120.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\netapi32.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\nmcom.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\rtcdll.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$\schannel.dll Object is locked skipped
D:\WINDOWS\system32\mschap32.exe Infected: Trojan-Spy.Win32.Sters.x skipped

Scan process completed.

pskelley
2007-08-23, 12:11
Thanks for returning your information and the feedback.

KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER REPORT Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:00:37 PM
Number of infected objects: 6

C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip/backups/ <<< delete the complete folder in red, SDFix is no longer needed.
C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip ZIP: infected - 1 skipped

D:\WINDOWS\system32\mschap32.exe <<< delete this file

restart the computer so System Restore will not backup the stuff you just removed.

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D262C14E-C896-4396-AA51-FE6A1B9E7F0B}\RP203\A0024116.exe/data0000.cab/demonoid.com Infected: Trojan.Win32.Pakes skipped
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D262C14E-C896-4396-AA51-FE6A1B9E7F0B}\RP203\A0024116.exe/data0000.cab Infected: Trojan.Win32.Pakes skipped
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D262C14E-C896-4396-AA51-FE6A1B9E7F0B}\RP203\A0024116.exe Rsrc-Package: infected - 2 skipped

Follow these instructions to clean those infected SR files:
System Restore does not know the good files from the bad. In case bad stuff has gotten into your System Restore files, follow the instructions in this link to get clean System Restore files. Turn it off, reboot then turn it back on:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/mcgill1.mspx

Some good information for you:
http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/slowcomputer.html

Here is some great information from experts in this field that will help you stay clean and safe online.
http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/prevention.html
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html
http://cybercoyote.org/security/not-admin.shtml

Thanks...pskelley
Safer Networking Forums
http://www.spybot.info/en/donate/index.html
If you are reading this information...thank a teacher,
If you are reading it in English...thank a soldier.

The Frankman
2007-08-24, 00:38
I just ran a check and SpyBot didn't detect The Fake W.get thing anymore. Here's SpyBot's Report:

--- Report generated: 2007-08-23 18:11 ---
AdRevolver: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, fixed)
Advertising.com: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, fixed)
DoubleClick: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, fixed)
HitBox: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, fixed)
MediaPlex: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, fixed)
Zedo: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, fixed)
WebTrends live: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, fixed)

I did a new restore point, erased my old AVG and went to avast! free version to try it out (I'm researching good anti-virus programs). I uninstalled both Photoshop and Illustrator because I STILL can't use them, so I'll try to find my original discs and reinstall them. I'm still worried I have something left though ... should I post another log for you to look at?

pskelley
2007-08-24, 01:13
Post a HJT log and I will take another look if you wish, but I did not need to see the cookies you collect when you surf. Here is information to help you stop accumulating that junk:

Internet Explorer
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/privacy/config.mspx

Firefox
http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_help_firefox_cookie_tutorial.html
http://privacy.getnetwise.org/browsing/tools/firefox1/ffdisablecookies
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/psm/help_21/using_priv_help.html

pskelley
2007-08-27, 23:29
As the problem appears to be resolved this topic has been closed.

If you need it re-opened please send me or a forum staff member a private message (pm) and provide a link to the thread; this applies only to the original topic starter.

Anyone else with similar problems please start a new topic.

Thanks