PDA

View Full Version : A few suggestions for next build (possibly 1.5)

Chaos17
2006-01-12, 17:17
i was thinking if Spybot Search & Destroy could have realtime protection.

i know it already got immunizer but i was thinking of something more.

like look at Spyware Doctor its got immunizer and more features in there realtimeprotection also look at spysweeper its got a number of things in there realtime protection.

now i was thinking a feature for rootkit and for rootkit detection. so for the new scan engine to be able to detect and remove rootkit:)

now 1.4 is already more than a yr old as from june or july right? or was it august?

tashi
2006-01-12, 19:27
Hello Chaos17 and welcome to the forum.

Please see this article:
How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware. (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281)

Rootkit detection is being looked at as mentioned in this topic:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=4678#post4678

Have you seen our other programs, as separate options they may prove useful to you. ;)
filealyzer (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/filealyzer/index.html)
regalyzer (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/regalyzer/index.html)
runalyzer (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/runalyzer/index.html)

Supported here:
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Thank you for your suggestions, always welcomed and considered.:bigthumb:

Chaos17
2006-01-13, 23:05
ah right there are 4 lvl of realtimeprotection.

but i was thinking of another lvl :D

also i see the rootkit detection suggestion has already been said:o

i see spybot-search & destroy has a immunizer for opera but not for firefox?

wats about a feature for firefox:D

as i think firefox is more used than opera:rolleyes:

pretorious
2006-01-18, 02:11
Two very simple words

Auto update

I have many family members that I have set up with Spybot, they don't have much computer knowlege so I schedule the scan at night, but updates still seem to be a problem to convince them to download.

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-18, 06:03
pretorious:

Have you tried the /autoupdate parameter in the scheduled running of Spybot?

See the following:
Are there any command line parameters?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/30.html

pretorious
2006-01-20, 08:39
ah, hmm. that does work, but maybe a little check box along with the other scheduling options. the only real complaint I have heard about spybot is that people are unable to get it to auto update durring a schedule, and that link was never covered in the help file... maybe just make it easier to use in the next version?

thanks for your help

aitken4me
2006-01-21, 07:44
:angel: :crowned: :p ;) :beerbeerb :cool:
i was thinking if Spybot Search & Destroy could have realtime protection.

i know it already got immunizer but i was thinking of something more.

like look at Spyware Doctor its got immunizer and more features in there realtimeprotection also look at spysweeper its got a number of things in there realtime protection.

now i was thinking a feature for rootkit and for rootkit detection. so for the new scan engine to be able to detect and remove rootkit:)

now 1.4 is already more than a yr old as from june or july right? or was it august?

David Arnatt
2006-01-23, 02:17
i see spybot-search & destroy has a immunizer for opera but not for firefox?

wats about a feature for firefox:D

as i think firefox is more used than opera:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if this isthe reason but have you seen how secure Firefox is?
It's not invincible but its fairly secure

Grongle
2006-02-01, 09:09
Another way to do updates is to remind yourself by simply having Spybot itself set to come up during the day at this time or that. It will do so, likely interrupting your work--just depends how you set it up.

If that is no trouble, you just go for the updates at that time. So you are probably going to update at least once a day.

That is a bit of a basic, fairly intrusive system of doing things, but it works well. I set it up when it was the best I could do. Now I know more, and I have some much smoother operations happening, but I kind of like my Spybot interruptions, and I've never changed them. Spybot is a favourite of mine, so it's like a very good old friend coming by.

Chaos17
2006-02-01, 22:06
all i ask for the Immuzation features is firefox protection. but not only for spyware but for trojan as well:D as spywareblaster does not stop trojan spybot-search & destroy could :rolleyes:

coz firefox doesn't have such a big problem with spyware but it does with trojan. well IE more but firefox as well.

i would like the immuzation feature to advance and also the scan engine.

could it be possible for Spybot to use another scan engine as well with there own. like for example it buys the scan engine from Spysweeper? or counterspy or a antitrojan scan engine? like trojanhunter?

coz antiviruses some of them do it. why not spybot-search & destroy.

i would ask for spysweeper or counterspy because i already use adaware se free and spyware doctor free. as well Trojanhunter as well i say trojanhunter because i use a-squared free and ewido free :p

if u wont to that obviously for the scan engine to be better in speed and detection and also to have more feature. but by more feature for the standard version not only for advance user. coz host file and scedule is for advance users only why not as well for standard version.

and one more thing that i would really like and most probably many more would as well.

u know when u right click on any file it says open and as well it says want to scan with the antivirus u got. well could it say for Spybot-search & destroy to scan the particular file as well?

pls for the next version

Despise_Spyware
2006-02-15, 00:45
It think spybot should include resident protection for mozilla firefox, as well as ie and opera. firefox users, like me, would appreciate the added security a lot

thx

GoldfrappJenny
2006-02-22, 09:13
I'm not sure if this isthe reason but have you seen how secure Firefox is?
It's not invincible but its fairly secure

Without wanting to 'cause any flame war, BUT there are less flaws and security holes in Opera than in FireFox. Just a matter of fact.

Compare

http://secunia.com/product/4227/

to

http://secunia.com/product/4932/

:)

Jenny

Chaos17
2006-03-07, 22:05
Will the beta come out anytime soon?:scratch:

looking forward to it:D

pwillener
2006-03-09, 07:49
I also think that the SS&D Resident should have the ability to auto-update - that would be a really great enhancement in a future release.

Almost all security products I have installed - ZoneAlarm, McAfee VirusScan, Windows Defender (Beta), Ewido - have auto-update capabilities.

I have installed SS&D on a number of friends' computers. Whenever I visit them I check their systems. And it is 100% sure each time SS&D definitions are way out of time. I tell them, I show them, they do it once or twice, then it's forgotten.

I have no problem updating SS&D on my computers, but it's really for non-technical, average computer users that this feature is needed.

Grongle
2006-03-27, 09:04
I check their systems. And it is 100% sure each time SS&D definitions are way out of time. I tell them, I show them, they do it once or twice, then it's forgotten.

Haha! Pwillener, you are a student of human nature! That is very funny—because you are so right, and it is so true. I think people don't do nice easy maintenance on their computers, just so they can give nice easy money to people who help them out!

My problem is that I usually refuse the money. I need it, but I don't take it. :scratch:

PoitNarf
2006-03-28, 18:48
I'd like to see some simple changes, for example:

1) Why are the registry keys for Spybot stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PepiMK Software\SpybotSnD? What's wrong with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE? This becomes annoying for multi-user systems. I'd prefer to have an administrator on the machine control Spybot settings for all users on the machine. This becomes even more annoying if Spybot has to go through a proxy to obtain updates as the proxy information needs to be put in for each individual user, which brings me to my next request.

2) Have Spybot detect IE's proxy settings and use them. If the computer is on a Windows domain, authenticate with the proxy using the credentials used to log into the domain. At the very least maybe just have spybot automatically detect proxy settings on the network or accept an automatic proxy configuration URL.

wcserv
2006-03-29, 22:11
Here's something that Spybot never used to do but it does now, and it infuriates me.

Suppose - like me - you use Spybot to regularly disinfect machines - which is does wonderfully, btw.

Suppose these machines don't have internet access, or, worse still, you can't get them on a network because of malware and virus infections.

Spybot is useless here - because as far as I can tell, without the definitions file being updated, you can't run it (or is there an override function somewhere I don't know about?).

Assuming there isn't, it would be very useful to be able to run it at least once before being forced to update the definitions.

Just my 2c worth :)

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-30, 00:36
wcserv:

My 2¢ worth (using your words).

"Here's something that … infuriates me" (your words also):

People writing negative caustic comments rather the just asking in a civil tone how that they can accomplish what they are trying to do!!!

I'll assume that you have some external storage device, such as a jump drive, that contains a copy of the "spybotsd14.exe" installation program, that you are using to install Spybot on "… machines don't have internet access…".

If I understand what you are attempting to accomplish, all you have to do is also include (on that jump drive) the latest copy of the manual updates to the detections updates and execute that program after the installation of Spybot. The file that should be downloaded and included on the jump drive is "spybotsd_includes.exe".

You can download the manual detection update file (as opposed to the integrated update file) from safer-networking.org as follows:Go to:
Downloads – Home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
The item that you should download is:
Detection updates 2006-03-24 - product description
md5: ED910B125F9314FB79F0A0A4CA91C79C

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

The direct link is:
http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe
This manual update file is updated around the same time that the updates are made available via the integrated update facility. The description changes on the download page but the download url remains constant.

wcserv
2006-03-31, 13:54
Well, it does infuriate me. Quite why you took that to be anything other than civil is beyond me... If you're not open to negative comments, then don't have a 'suggestions' area on your VB, and you won't get them.

tashi
2006-03-31, 22:36
All comments/suggestions are welcome. :)

noel-pr7
2006-04-14, 20:34

no Chaos17. Spybot 1.4 is actually LESS than a year old. it was officially released in early june 2005. that I remember vividly. do you mean 1.4 beta?

Chaos17
2006-04-14, 23:26
yep how come the 1.5 beta has not been released yet? is it because its really really unstable? or is it coz the new features are not done yet?

also in the new version will there be a new enhanced scan engine? and the features improved like the immunizer?

Judah
2006-04-24, 03:17
Originally posted by Chaos17:
"and one more thing that i would really like and most probably many more would as well.

u know when u right click on any file it says open and as well it says want to scan with the antivirus u got. well could it say for Spybot-search & destroy to scan the particular file as well?

pls for the next version"
Sorry I don't know how to quote.

I second this suggestion. Spybot in the menu when you right-click on a file would be really useful, especially for a downloaded file.

tonysak
2006-04-29, 06:19
Please fix the issue with computers that have "Hyper-Threading"!!!

There are so many Intel H.T. systems and seems like they are more and more common in newer computers. Spybot S&D has had a problem with it's working properly with computers that have the HT technology since the 1.3 version. It was known then, before the release of the 1.4RC and the 1.4 versions, which we were told would be corrected in those NEW version. I've not seen or heard of a fix for this in the new 1.5 version...though, we have been told by Spybot S&D that it would be fixed in the next release, AGAIN!

I really like your product, but don't like to have to do "work arounds" so your program will work with the newer technology and the way of the future in computer chips. As you can guess I have the Hyper-Threading and if you Google "Spybot S&D and Hyper-Threading"....there are numerous pages of people that have H.T. computers that have stopped using your product.

Please, add a fix for this problem so Spybot will work with H.T in your next version...or put out a fix for it now.

Thank You!

bitman
2006-04-29, 07:56
Please fix the issue with computers that have "Hyper-Threading"!!!

<SNIP>

Please, add a fix for this problem so Spybot will work with H.T in your next version...or put out a fix for it now.

Thank You!
You never returned to your earlier thread and let us know you still had an HTT problem.
XP Home With HyperThreading (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=17029#post17029)

If you had, I would have directed you to this more permanent workaround that builds the 'Set Affinity' into the SpybotSD.exe file itself.
Permanent Affinity setting for Spybot S&D hang on HTT (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=1045&postcount=13)

I don't know if there will be a final 'fix' for this in 1.5, or even when that might be released, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. This worked perfectly for the original person who tried it and caused no problems on my own PC without HyperThreading.

Bitman

noel-pr7
2006-05-01, 18:46
looks like tonysak did not pay close attention on how to solve his "hyper-threading" problem. he should know better, bitman.

noel-pr7
2006-05-01, 18:51
yep how come the 1.5 beta has not been released yet? is it because its really really unstable? or is it coz the new features are not done yet?

also in the new version will there be a new enhanced scan engine? and the features improved like the immunizer?

I guess they're still working on the new features because they're probably not yet ready. so it looks like we'll have to wait even longer. also they have to make the 1.5 beta work under win95 cuz spybot 1.4 does not even run under win95.

Chaos17
2006-05-01, 21:12
i don't think the programers of Spybot should waiste there time on making spybot 1.5 compatible with win 95 and 98 as those are old operating systems.

i think they should spend there time trying to perfect there program for win xp and 2000. and also spend there time on making the prgram better. by bug fixes and making the scan engine better and the features better ertc....

Jim B
2006-05-03, 14:18
I am running a standalone computer on windows xp. It proves a big pain trying to administer it. Spybot has got a good immunisation system, however , every single user on the computer has to immunise separatly. Which means that normally only the most profishent users (such as myself) immunise to take advantage of the new database.

What I am getting at is that Spybot should filter the settings down the users. So that only one user needs to immunise and all the computer users are protected from new threats, without having to go into every user name to do it seperatly.

noel-pr7
2006-05-05, 18:34
Jim B has got a point on improvements on the immunization feature so that users dont have to immunize spybot on each computer separately.

I have to disagree with Chaos17 (bigtime) on just making spybot better under win2k & XP. there are still a lot of windows users out there using win98/me and removing 9x support in spybot 1.5 would be a terrible mistake. hope all the Teatimer problems will be resolved in the next release of spybot. the teatimer problems are another reason why it'll take longer for the creators of spybot to release the next version. they have to figure out a way to fix those problems.

arturo_arraiga
2006-05-05, 22:05
Hello I Was Also Wondering About Spybot 1.5 And This Are The Suggestions That I Have

- Continue With The Support For W98 And Wme In My Country Many Computers Are Still Used With These Os Will Be Terrible For Us If You Don't Do It.

- I Think You Should Fix The Problem With Ht.

- I Think That The Autoupdate Will Not Be A Good Idea, The Auto Update Programs Like Norton Are Very Annoying, And Only Causes Trouble. I Know That Not Every Body Is Able To Update It Itself But This Is Not A Perfect World.

Thanks A Lot Spybot Team

I Know Yow Will Do Your Best In Spybot 1.5

tsSecure
2006-05-14, 02:46
Another feature to tihnk about adding is: Pop Up and Ad blocking, like Ad-watch SE. Block spyware pop ups and ads.

Just trying to help. I want to see this product to go far.

bubbagump2001
2006-05-15, 16:09
First, excellent product keep up the good work!

Here are a few suggestions from a network admin point of view.

How about making a msi install package for spybot so admins can deploy via AD. This would resolve the issue with users not being administrators on workstations for logon script installs.

Create a program to install on a server to allow admins to autodownload the "spybot dats" to a shared location for the client installs to pull from.

Make spybot a windows service rather then a startup task

tashi
2006-05-15, 19:31
Thank you. :)

Here are a few suggestions from a network admin point of view.

This may be of interest:

For the specific needs of corporate LANs/WANs we designed a tool called 'Server for Spybot - Search & Destroy',
http://www.safer-networking.ie/en/home/index.html
http://www.safer-networking.ie/en/iuserver/index.html

http://spybot.info/en/license/index.html

Cheers.

noel-pr7
2006-05-15, 23:04
Another feature to tihnk about adding is: Pop Up and Ad blocking, like Ad-watch SE. Block spyware pop ups and ads.

Just trying to help. I want to see this product to go far.

not sure about pop-up blocking. Use Panicware's Pop-Up Stopper utility to block popup windows, tsSecure. Popup Stopper comes in different flavors. besides, most recent versions of non-IE browsers like Mozilla, Firefox, Opera have built-in popup blockers.

here's Panicware's web site to get Popup Stopper:
http://www.panicware.com/

djpailo
2006-06-02, 13:17
I think spybot could have a tool like killbox built in to delete any files that are being stubborn and wont delete by the normal scanning process.

It could also have a much better User Interface now, especially if you look at Windows Defender, it just seems quite dull.

The "advanced mode" should be ditched, and with a better UI, users can be warned that only advanced users should change stuff in this particular section.

There could be better scanning options, like to scan your whole PC, or to scan a specific section.

spybotsandra
2006-06-08, 11:07
user announced this:

"i was wondering if in the updates portion that you could include either a select all updates button, or download all updates button, it would beat running the wizard each time. thanks for hearing me out."

noel-pr7
2006-06-21, 22:30
that would be a nice idea spybotsandra to have a Download All updates button.

I hope the next version of Spybot would include Immunization support for Opera 9 web browsers. I just downloaded the final release of Opera 9 browser today and Spybot does NOT offer Immunization for it, even when I checked the "individual profiles" setup option during install of Opera 9. Spybot 1.4 will offer Immunization for Opera 8.5 and earlier but NOT Opera 9.

noel-pr7
2006-07-20, 16:57
that would be a nice idea spybotsandra to have a Download All updates button.

I hope the next version of Spybot would include Immunization support for Opera 9 web browsers. I just downloaded the final release of Opera 9 browser today and Spybot does NOT offer Immunization for it, even when I checked the "individual profiles" setup option during install of Opera 9. Spybot 1.4 will offer Immunization for Opera 8.5 and earlier but NOT Opera 9.

ok disregard my previous post. Spybot 1.4 can offer Immunization support for Opera 9 browsers as long as Opera 9 is installed in the \Program Files\Opera\ folder and NOT the \Program Files\Opera 9\ folder. If it is installed in the Opera 9 folder, un-install Opera 9 and re-install the browser into the Opera folder and Spybot will show immunity for Opera 9.

simonbratt99
2006-08-17, 17:23
hi,
1. is it possible to up the loads a bit to fully use the includes, that would then force most of the leaders to be hit?

2. On the 2nd main screen two links would be useful to press to get to it and that would save time working out where they were.

3. Ive installed this on many lights before, on thier own but it wold be useful if you could release two sessions side by side, making remote passes possible.

4 and lastly keep up the good work people, if you get these three options working you know youve gone MAD.

;-)

Zenobia
2006-08-19, 00:14
Maybe a Black & White List log(if that's possible),that could be easily posted if people are having problems.(with remembered decisions.)

DELTRON
2006-09-09, 00:43
My suggestions are:

Shell integration, which would give the ability to check one file, many files/folders via right-click.

Modify the download-updates-dialog to provide more information, like bytes/sec received so that one might know when to cancle and try another mirror.

Modify the download-updates-dialog such that 'Cancle' works differently from how it's implemented now. - Sometimes during a 'forever download' issue, you cannot cancle the 'hung download'. You end up having to kill the process.
:bigthumb:

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-09, 16:32
DELTRON:

My suggestions are:

Shell integration, which would give the ability to check one file, many files/folders via right-click.
Something like this may be difficult to implement since unlike anti-virus programs and some other anti-spyware programs, Spybot does not do an in-depth scan drives/folders/files to begin with. For a brief description of how Spybot scans see:
Why is Spybot-S&D so fast?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/1.html
There is a special scan for Spyware installers (files not installed yet), that does scan folders. There is more on what this feature scans for here:
Why does Spybot-S&D find so many Spyware installers / how is that Download directories setting used?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/15.html

Matt
2006-09-09, 18:07
My suggestions for a new version:

- permit immunisation for Firefox 1.x and 2.x
- improvements to the detection against inactive spyware
- Adding a rootkit detection
- full support for all operating systems, in particular Windows Vista

:) :bigthumb: :)

Lord Cobol
2006-09-11, 21:25
May not sound like a big deal, but I would like an option to have new entries to the hosts file added automagically. Others have requested an automatic update -- I roll my own with a scheduled task with "/autoupdate /autoimmunize". That updates everything except the hosts file, which I still have to do manually. Maybe a command line "/AutoUpdHostFile"

I'd like as much as possible of the real-time protection done without requiring human intervention. I reluctantly turned teatimer off long ago, because I get updates for antivirus and other software several times a day, and it was just too many questions. Also I was worried about the updates that happen when I am not around -- I'm a big fan of automatic overnite updates.

In general, I think real-time protection needs more attention than scanning & removal. Too many recent nasties are too hard to remove, so if I think I've been hit I'll bypass the removal routines and back up my data, boot from cd, reformat & re-install, etc.

I also agree with the requests for firefox support & rootkit detection, although I am worried about how long a scan would take with rootkit checking included.

DELTRON
2006-10-01, 01:56
Something like this may be difficult to implement since unlike anti-virus programs and some other anti-spyware programs, Spybot does not do an in-depth scan drives/folders/files to begin with.

Ah okay, I wasn't familiar with the scan method, but that certainly makes sense. - Thanks for the info :)

xpsunny
2006-12-20, 17:50
I wish higher detection rates. I've tested the new beta but I did not get satisfactory results.....

Spybot does catches wide ranges of Malwares but once when I scanned my PC with SuperAntiSpyware it catched 3 trojans, Yazzel toolbar and browser hijacker. I wonder why SPybot did not catch it? :sad:

I also suggest, that Spybot be converted to payware version. The developers work hard to develop the software and the receive only a few donations for generous people...........

DominiqueP
2006-12-22, 15:58
user announced this:

"i was wondering if in the updates portion that you could include either a select all updates button, or download all updates button, it would beat running the wizard each time. thanks for hearing me out."

I agree with this.

I'd like either the possibility to ask for auto update (but not as the default choice) or at least the equivalent of 'check all' on the updates page.

Who Knew
2007-01-22, 18:21
Hi,

I like Spybot, so keep up the good work. Here are some suggestion for changes I'd like to see:

When I click the Search for Updates button, an Update progress dialog pops up, then if there are no updates, the No newer updates available, OK dialog pops up on top of that, and I must click the OK button to continue. Instead, I wish SS&D would just simply display the Update progress dialog, and when searching for updates has completed correctly, indicate something like "Search for updates successful, No newer updates are available", directly in the table where available updates are usually displayed, instead of having to click OK on a dialog that seems to be of such little consequence. However, if there is some failure with the search for updates, this would be of larger consequence, and a pop up dialog should announce the failure and force the user to click OK.

When switching to the Immunize portion, it automatically loads the current Immunization and if re-immunization is required, a pop up dialog, on which I must click OK, indicates this. I wish the this popup dialog would have the OK button as well as an Immunize now button, which would serve both as clicking on OK to ack the dialog, and initiate immunization too. This would save me from having to click OK on the dialog, then click the Immunize button. However, I have noticed that I haven't had to do this for a while, so maybe SS&D is automatically immunizing when the updates are applied. If so, then scratch this idea.

In Settings>Ignore products, there is a huge heap of various icky things with checkboxes. This appears very well organized. However, I would add just one more tab to this screen, and name it something like "All Allowed Products". Under this tab, I would display only the items from the All products tab, which are currently checked. If none of the items were checked, I would display something like "All products may be found during a scan". Or, perhaps better or easier than adding yet another tab, would be to change the table that displays the checkboxes/products/category, so that clicking on the column header sorts the list according to that column. If the check boxes were given their own column, then a user could sort the list of products by their checked/not checked status, and easily see which were checked, or easily see that none were checked. Or, the text background for each of the tabs could change color depending on the status of products being checked or not. That is, if a particular tab has products in it that are checked, then the background color of the tab could change to yellow, and if all products under a particuar tab were checked, then the tab background color could change to red, or some scheme like this. Anyway, something like this would make it quick and easy to verify what is checked and what is not, or to verify that nothing is checked.

In Settings>Ignore cookies, I wish there was the capability to delete a cookie from the list (which would delete it from the computer). I also wish there was a way the cookies could be tested directly from the list. Perhaps an extra column could be added, which allows for a button called "test" for each of the cookies. This button would open the Internet browser and take the user to the web site where the cookie came from. Then, the user could decide if they want to keep the cookie, or nuke it.

I wish the secure shredder were integrated with the right-click context menu. This way, I could right-click on a file's icon, and select either Delete, or "Secure Shredder Delete" or some such name. Then, the file could be immediately shredded. Or, perhaps there's a way to use the "Send to" function to handle this?

That's all I have for now, thanks...

jonathanbean
2007-02-06, 05:21
Right now, you can only shred targeted files. Lots of programs shred "free space." I don't know if it improves the performance of the computer, or if it is more secure than defragging but....

feeks
2007-06-19, 00:05
I have not been able to find a duplicate request for this function so here goes!

Action "Select All Reports" for Tools->View Report->View Report.

Having to manually select every report in order to delete old reports can be very time consuming! Assuming a select all reports by default and then unselecting the resident and update downloads logs would be considerably easier than having to select every report to be deleted.

feeks
2007-06-19, 00:18
I have not been able to find a duplicate request for this function so here goes!

Action "Select All Reports" for Tools->View Report->View Report.

Having to manually select every report in order to delete old reports can be very time consuming! Assuming a select all reports by default and then unselecting the resident and update downloads logs would be considerably easier than having to select every report to be deleted.

Oh one other!!!:oops:

Action "View Selected Report" for Tools->View Report->View Report.

Being able to open the report log from the same screen would also be a plus

PepiMK
2007-06-20, 11:04
@feeks: Select/Deselect all has been added :)

@Who Knew: the indication was in the status bar earlier, but without the dialog, many people seem to have missed that ;)

The integrated shredder has, as jonathanbean mentioned, been deactivated and is used only for cleanups currently, simple because there are many better stand-alone shredders out there.

@Matt: "rootkit detection" is often requested, but rootkits are actually also just some kind of malware. Some rootkits are detected, some not. If you know some that are not detected, send some information to our detectives and they'll try to add it :) Vista support is in 1.5. Immunization for Firefox will come shortly after 1.5.

@DELTRON: shell integration is actually possible, we use single-file-Spybot-S&D scanners e.g. for test automation. It's just that finding files only wouldn't get rid of the associated registry stuff, though we soon might have something for that ready soon.

@noel-pr7: Opera 9 support should be improved in 1.5 as well, we're using many methods currently, from registry App Paths\Opera.exe settings over AppData\Opera\ profile folders, \Software\Opera Software\, etc. Might just be that some detection methods had problems detecting the Opera version (Opera changed a few file formats, some history file now has four instead of three lines per entry or something).

@anonymous user re Select all on updates: right-click on the list gets you a context menu with those choices, since eternities ;)

tsSecure: the IE plugin has grown and will continue to grow, a popup blocker shouldn't be impossible, but then, IE 7 already has one integrated, and older versions tend to not get enough security updates, so I wouldn't recommend them anyway ;)

@arturo_arraiga: we even added Win95 in the list of supported OS back in :)

Wanted to answer some more topics, but I'll have to go and make todays regular updates ready now :D

amberley
2007-07-10, 00:09
First of all, all the effort is really worth it. Without people working together for the good of the community, the internet would be the biggest pile slow moving "c**p".

All of our customers use spybot along with others forms of defense. My main requests are from an administrative point of view. IT would be helpful if all options could be set as an administrative user, and then set for any user that logs on to the PC. several clients have hot desking so enforcing immunization etc and teatimer is very awkward to say the least.

Thats my main area of concern, I would also be helpful if the program could automatically scan all profiles, but I'm not sure if this would be possible.

Maybe some of this is included?

Also can we have some form of centralised push/pull centre that would install spybot on all connected machines, with domain level policies etc run from their server. Also being able to talk centrally to the software for scheduling scans, reports, database versions etc. We use trend SMB for our clients and would very much like to see a centralised admin area similar to theirs. I expect our clients would actually opt for paying as a commercial entity for this, and licences. It would also cut down our remote support times as well.

tashi
2007-07-10, 02:12
Hello.

Also can we have some form of centralised push/pull centre that would install spybot on all connected machines, with domain level policies etc run from their server. Also being able to talk centrally to the software for scheduling scans, reports, database versions etc. We use trend SMB for our clients and would very much like to see a centralised admin area similar to theirs. I expect our clients would actually opt for paying as a commercial entity for this, and licences. It would also cut down our remote support times as well.

Spybot-S&D is free for personal use, please see the FAQS regarding licensing for Corporate users.
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=44554&postcount=3

Also:

For the specific needs of corporate LANs/WANs we designed a tool called "Intranet Server for Spybot - Search & Destroy"

Information and contact here: "Intranet Server for Spybot - Search & Destroy" (http://www.safer-networking.ie/en/home/index.html) :)

Best regards.

PepiMK
2007-07-18, 11:11
My main requests are from an administrative point of view. IT would be helpful if all options could be set as an administrative user, and then set for any user that logs on to the PC.

Registry settings in HKLM will override the same in the HKCU path. Also, the Configuration.ini can be automatically overriden by a file on the server, see the Intranet Server link posted by Tashi.

Thats my main area of concern, I would also be helpful if the program could automatically scan all profiles, but I'm not sure if this would be possible.

It does not only scan all profiles, it even scans inactive installations (e.g. if you have a dual-boot setup), including the registry of these. To clean malware in other users accounts, appropriate rights would still be needed of course.

Also can we have some form of centralised push/pull centre that would install spybot on all connected machines, with domain level policies etc run from their server. Also being able to talk centrally to the software for scheduling scans, reports, database versions etc.

As Tashi already hinted at, centralized updates, configuration, scheduling, email notification to admin, etc. already comes with the commercial use license ;)

Matt
2007-07-29, 16:25
Thanks for your answer. :bigthumb:

I'm happy that you integrate an immunization for Firefox. Thank you!