PDA

View Full Version : Windows Xp Home & Pro

wluisainds
2007-08-16, 09:57
Hello

I don't know if it is proper to ask this here, but, I really don't know where to get help >.< Can windows XP home and pro be installed in one computer? I mean, can I have them both? I need to install some IIS but XP home does not support it... so some people told me better to have XP pro... But I don't want to lose my XP home.

Does anyone knows something about this? :sad:

tashi
2007-08-16, 18:06
Hello wluisainds.

Both versions are basically the same core operating system.

Windows XP Professional has more options and tools than XP Home, and will receive longer term support from Microsoft. Not sure why you would want to use both versions?

One usually 'upgrades' within the same operating system family, or dual boots to different operating systems. For example Windows/Linux, or XP/Vista.

For information on XP Dual Boot, you could start here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306559/EN-US/ :)

wluisainds
2007-08-17, 05:13
Hello Tashi

Thank you verymuch for the link :) I just took a look, but it seems far to complicated for me :red:
Well, the truth is that I need to install the IIS server in my computer, but edition Home does not support it (officially). I know there is one way to do it, but I don't have the windows 2000 to do it, and also the method is quite complicated for me :red: That's why I want to have the edition Pro, because it supports the IIS server.

Do you know another way to install the IIS server on edition home?

katana
2007-08-17, 10:30
If you already have the pro edition disc, why not just install it ?

The pro version has all the home features
Is there some reason why you do not want the pro edition ?

wluisainds
2007-08-17, 12:26
Hi katana

If I install the Pro edition, what will happen with the Home edition? It will just kinda upgrade?
I don't know if this has something to do, but my computer is "from factory". I don't know how to say it in english :scratch: I mean, when I bought it, I didn't have to install the operating system, it was all done. So i don't know if installing the Pro edition will work.
Well, I really don't know much about computers :red: I wonder if that affects the installing of the Pro edition.

What do you guys think ?

katana
2007-08-17, 12:28
Is your Pro disc an upgrade disc or a full install disc ?

wluisainds
2007-08-17, 13:45
I think it is a full install, my friend bought a new PC and installed the Pro edition with that CD.

katana
2007-08-17, 15:02
I think it is a full install, my friend bought a new PC and installed the Pro edition with that CD.

If it has already been used, you will need to purchase a new activation key !!

ndmmxiaomayi
2007-08-17, 16:26
XP Pro keys are running out. From what I understand, Microsoft is releasing XP Pro 2c, which is basically the same as XP Pro SP2.

However, it seems to cover only OEM builders, not DIY PCs.

I'm not so sure on this, you can check out these articles:

http://redmondmag.com/news/article.asp?editorialsid=8935
http://blogs.technet.com/backroom/archive/2007/08/09/microsoft-windows-xp-professional-service-pack-2c-release.aspx

Edit: You said it's from a factory, that means it's OEM. You can ask for the XP Pro CD from your computer manufacturer.

wluisainds
2007-08-18, 13:44
Hey Katana, thanks for telling me about that :)

Hi ndmmxiaomayi, I think I'll try asking for the CD then :) Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, Tashi, Katana and Ndmmxiaomayi :)

katana
2007-08-18, 13:46
No problem :)
It's why we're here :laugh:

ndmmxiaomayi
2007-08-18, 19:23
You are welcome. :)

tashi
2007-08-18, 21:36
:beerbeerb: