PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Locate Component

majestic100
2007-08-17, 20:42
Been running Spybot S&D v1.4 for long time with no problems. Now on starting the program I get an error window - "SpybotSD.exe - Unable to Locate Component" which says "The application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem"

Two issues:-

1. The program does start ?
2. Re-installing the program doesn't fix the problem

Appreciate any help on this

****Update*****

Resolved problem by copying framedyn.dll file from windows/system32/wbem folder into Spybot - Search & Destroy folder. Program now runs without error message.

Question......having deleted the program, flushed the registry and ensured no remnants of the program existed on my PC, I perfomed a fresh download and install of the program.

Why was framedyn.dll not installed into the program directory by doing this ?????

md usa spybot fan
2007-08-17, 21:38
Wrong solution !!!

Question......having deleted the program, flushed the registry and ensured no remnants of the program existed on my PC, I perfomed a fresh download and install of the program.

Why was framedyn.dll not installed into the program directory by doing this ?????
Because framedyn.dll does not belong in the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy folder. The framedyn.dll is a Microsoft module and now if there are ever updates by Microsoft to the framedyn.dll file, they will not be reflected in the copy that you have placed in the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy folder.

The problem you encountered is usually caused by a bad path to the Framedyn.dll file rather than a missing Framedyn.dll file or because it is not in the Spybot program directory. Please read the following Microsoft Knowledge base article:
"Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found" Error Message When You Open the System Properties Dialog Box
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319114
Also see:
framedyn.dll not found, loads anyway
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2458
I strongly suggest that you fix the path to framedyn.dll file and delete the copy you made of it in the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy folder !!!

aamilikhchhi
2010-07-18, 23:31
I followed all the good advice in this thread regarding that pesky "framedyn.dll" problem, but hopelessly failed. Here is how I finally managed to resolve it.

1. Searched for the framedyn.dll file - the choice for hidden files was checked. There may be more than one location where it may exist. I chose the one with the latest date.

2. Using My Computer, opened the "wbem" directory. In my case, the framdyn.dll was missing in this location.

3. Simply dragged and dropped the file from location found in step 1 into the wbem directory.

4. Restarted the computer, and voila!

toddsdarlin
2011-02-26, 16:39
I was able to fix the above error by going here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319114#FixedAlways

Hope this helps others.

:band:

videobruce
2011-12-24, 01:43
Add me to the list.

1. Both locations do have the file,
2. I replaced it from a known good drive to both folders, no change,
3. NO other program (I started around 10 different programs to see) has any issue including System Properties (which that KB article was written for),
4. Yes I did use a registry cleaner and read what was written here about them. It was CCleaner. (No backup was done)
5. I originally had V1.62, removed it when I saw the V2 and upgraded to V2 beta, same problem with both.

I'm not into rewriting 'paths' (searching the registry is easy, paths are not). There was a entry "path" already there, but ti was for another app. The M$ KB article didn't mention that some other program could cerate an entry there. Their article caused confusion (what else is new). Anyway, I did create a new "path" entry copied that command and it did work (to my surprise).

What I don't understand is getting the error message and the program working as intended anyway???
Assuming it is a bad path, why does the program still work?