PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 1.3 led to more with 1.4

crispy
2006-01-13, 00:19
I've been using 1.3 for several months under XP, but today it kept having problems and stopped running before the end of the scan.

I decided to try 1.4 to see if that would work better, but it doesn't want to work at all. I've downloaded all the updates, and it tells me that I have no problems to sort out, but.....

The run in 1.3 took several minutes, and I'd see all the checks going through. The run in 1.4 shows nothing but the green (status line?) that is full width from the start, and the run is over in less than 10 seconds. It then comes up with Congratulations! No immediate threats were found.

I'd like to believe it, but I somehow doubt it.

Any ideas please?

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-13, 02:08
Have you re-booted since installing and updating Spybot? Re-booting may solve the problem.

During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar shows the following: "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
xxxxx = Current check count
yyyyy = Total check count
zzzzz = Malware being checked for
After the 2006-01-06 updates (without the ßDetection rules) the scan counts (yyyyy value) should be:
Without Usage tracks - 33807
With Usage tracks – 36406
If the counts are not correct:
Check and make sure Go into Spybot > Help > About. You should see the following:
Latest detection update: 2006-01-06. If the "Latest detection update" doesn't read 2006-01-06, go into Spybot > Update > click the "Search for updates" button > check everything found > then click the "Download updates" button. Then run another scan.
If you have the latest updates, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode (say "Yes" to the warning if necessary) > Settings > File Sets. Make sure that everything is checked except the possibly the last two items. The last two items are "Usage Tracks" and should only be checked if you want to check for them (I personally don't). The first of these two items (Usage Tracking) lists IE Cache (temporary internet files), Common Dialogs, Cookies and some Logs. The second is other "Usage Tracks".

crispy
2006-01-13, 11:04
Thanks for the detailed reply. I would say that I did reboot after install and updates, but perhaps I'm mistaken, because everything works just fine today. :bigthumb:

Some of the results may cause me to ask other questions, but I'll search the forum first.

All the best, Chris

crispy
2006-01-13, 11:44
I've now resolved the other problems mentioned, by running a search here.

I'm glad I found this forum, it's a great resource. :beerbeerb

tashi
2006-01-13, 15:46
That is good to hear, thank you. :)