PDA

View Full Version : dummy

king malcolm
2007-08-21, 14:18
Can anyone throw some light on an odd thing that I have just noticed ?

Running XP SP2, spybot s+d version 1.4

When I right click on a data file of any sort, be it an image, Word document , Powerpoint file or whatever, the usual menu appears with all the right options, including the usual "open with....." option.

Suddenly, in the list of suitable progs is one called "Dummy" and it has the Spybot S+D icon next to it,
When I go through My Computer>programs and look at Spybot, there is a folder in there called "Dummies" containing some jpg files of what appears to be various parts of the Spybot GUI.

The properties of that folder tell me that it is a legitimate part of Spybot, all my anti nasty progs tell me that there is nothing to worry about.

Does anyone else using Spybot have the same experience ? Is it legitimate ? And how did a single folder in a programme that does not "open" files as such come to be in the "open with" dialogue.

Thank you in advance for any comments or observations, and can some kind soul tell me if it is possible to remove this item from my "open with" list ?

wingspar
2007-08-21, 20:48
Yes, I see that also, tho I’m not sure I’ve noticed it before, but now that I think about it, I think I have noticed it before, and wondered what kind of program is called “Dummies”. It is located at

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Dummies

What is this “Dummies” program?

tashi
2007-08-21, 21:29
Hello.

Please see this topic: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2593

Hope that helps. ;)

king malcolm
2007-08-22, 14:30
Thank you Wingspar and Tashi for your replies.

I understand what dummies are, and why Spybot invokes them. That, however, does not explain the presence of a Dummy prog. in the open with list.

There appears to be at least two problems emanating from recent updates, this and the fact that Spybot suddenly wants to scan a floppy drive if one exists. :sad: There are several posts in various forums with that problem.

I have in the meantime got rid of the Dummy appearing in the open-with list by uninstalling, manually clearing all orphaned Spybot files, clearing it out of the registry then downloading and installing version 1.4 again.

So far, even after todays updates, the problems have not returned. :)