PDA

View Full Version : Immunization questions

WhyBee
2007-08-22, 00:45
So I activated Immunization with S&D and enabled the feature to have S&D block bad downloads from installing in IE. The question I have is, do I need to have Spybot S&D running to have these 2 features working or can I just chose S&D? I chose not to install the resident scanner cuz i don't like to have excess software running in the background.

md usa spybot fan
2007-08-22, 06:03
Immunization adds entries to the system registry and activating Spybot's "Resident SD helper" activates a BHO (Browser Helper Object) that will run when Internet Explorer runs. Spybot does not have to be active for these protections to continue to work.

For more information see the following:
How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

WhyBee
2007-08-22, 09:17
Immunization adds entries to the system registry and activating Spybot's "Resident SD helper" activates a BHO (Browser Helper Object) that will run when Internet Explorer runs. Spybot does not have to be active for these protections to continue to work.

So since I didn't install SDhelper during the installation process, the BHO won't run with Internet Explorer even though I enabled the option in Spybot S&D. I guess it's good enough just to have the immunization add registry entries. Thank you for the help.

md usa spybot fan
2007-08-22, 15:10
So since I didn't install SDhelper during the installation process, the BHO won't run with Internet Explorer even though I enabled the option in Spybot S&D.
If you enabled it after the installation, it will run within Internet Explorer.