PDA

View Full Version : Spybot check drive A (floppy) - how to disable?

ThomasJ
2007-08-22, 14:19
About two weeks ago, since I downloaded updates (I am not sure which), whenever I activate the SpyBot - it checks drive A (floppy drive) first, though there is no diskette there. It never happened before.

Currently it is on default mode (1.4 version).

How can I disable this? Before I uninstall and reinstall, I would like to know if there is better solution.

Other than that, the program works fine.

king malcolm
2007-08-22, 14:23
Hello, I have exactly the same problem which I have resolved in the short term by disabling the floppy drive (ok as I never used it anyway).
However, a proper solution would be preferable, but like yourself cannot find a way to stop this happening from within Spybot.
Hope some kind soul can oblige.

spybotsandra
2007-08-23, 14:11
Hello,

There are different ways to search for spies.
Spybot - Search & Destroy takes the advantage to check for all existing drives. Antivirus solutions do this also by the way.
It is checking inactive installations and storing a list of really available drives to avoid unnecessary lookups at later points. The creating of such an overview is taking place right at the start of Spybot - Search & Destroy. At this moment Spybot makes a quick scan to proove if itself is modified by malware or some kind of baddie. So this can take quite a few seconds. Please be patient.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

ThomasJ
2007-09-03, 13:11
Thank you for replying - but I am afraid you did not answer my question.

My question was how to make Spybot stop checking drive A. I find it bothering.

In my antivirus program there is option to enable and disable it from checking drive A. I would like to know if there is similar option in Spybot.

Please note that I am using Spybot for long time, and only lately it began doing so. I assume one of the updates caused that.

futhark
2007-09-11, 03:04
I am one of the millions of Spybot users worldwide that have been annoyed by the A drive checking at the beginning of each scan. Are the programmers of Spybot responsive enough to the wishes of its users to provide an "opt out" for those not wanting the noisy A drive check?

Hardhead
2007-09-11, 03:09
I thought I was the only one that had this problem too. A fix would be nice if possible. :=)

wolfgang
2007-09-11, 06:49
Please give us a fix to disable this way of checking.

gato2006chile
2007-09-13, 23:58
Other more to the list

Libra
2007-09-14, 02:00
I'm still using Spybot 1.4 and also noticed recently it is scanning the A drive before the program even opens.

Sincerely, Libra

PepiMK
2007-09-14, 17:51
Yes, it happens through library updates that are available for 1.4 as well.

"Opting out" is difficult there, as these integrity checks are performed before any configuration is loaded etc..

Well, see here (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=76), where you can also vote (the small bar below the text).

Update: please note the vote option below each project manager entry:
http://www.safer-networking.org/images/projectmanager-implement-feature.png
Except for my own dummy vote there, no one has voted yet.

antdude
2007-09-15, 23:42
I see this problem in v1.5.1 in Windows 98 SE on an old Toshiba notebook/laptop too! :( Quite annoying. NAV does it too but at least it can be disabled.