PDA

View Full Version : Tagasaurus

pgroot
2007-08-29, 18:58
SPYbot S&D detects Tagasaurus, labeled a Trojan, but the only thing detected is a cookie.

md usa spybot fan
2007-08-29, 23:18
Are you getting the "TagASaurus: Tracking cookie" detection similar to the following?
TagASaurus: Tracking cookie (<browser name>: <user name>) (Cookie, nothing done)
Or some other TagASaurus detection?

Please post a log of the actual detections you are getting. To do that:
Run another scan.
When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread.
Thanks

pgroot
2007-09-26, 23:32
The Tagasaurus finding is for Cookie:Owner@ad.yieldmanager.com/
but Tagasaurus is labeled as a Trojan. A tracking cookie is not a Trojan, nor does this one seem to have any relationship with a Trojan.

Chasmiff
2008-02-08, 14:56
The only time I have encountered a TagASaurus warning was when accessing a Yahoo groups website. Spybot, flashed up a warning that it had detected a known malicious URL, and gave me the option to deny, which I did.

Now it occurs to me, that since Yahoo openly admit to collecting personally identifiable information about visitors to their websites, could they in fact be using TagASaurus?

Do I have a touch of paranoia here?

Best, Charlie.

Are you getting the "TagASaurus: Tracking cookie" detection similar to the following?
TagASaurus: Tracking cookie (<browser name>: <user name>) (Cookie, nothing done)
Or some other TagASaurus detection?

Please post a log of the actual detections you are getting. To do that:
Run another scan.
When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread.
Thanks

Chasmiff
2008-02-09, 12:40
I have just logged into one of the Yahoo groups I am a member of, and I noticed that during the log in process that we passed through adopt.euroclck.com

Now it's my understanding that this lot set tracking cookies on your puter, or maybe even a trojan???

So, does spybot protect against these scurrilous wee nasties?

Seems to me that Yahoo aint too friendly??

Best, Charlie.

prisca-sapientia
2008-02-13, 20:31
Just downloaded latest Spybot defs and suddenly, when I try to open a Yahoo page I open a dozen times each day -
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cq?d=v1&s=^DJI%2cBIDU%2cGOOG

Spybot's begun throwing up a warning box labeled -
Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker
Spybot-S&D's IE Helper has detected an URL that is known as a malicious resource.
URL: http://ad.yieldmanager.com/st?ad_type=ifram
(note, it's truncated in the popup; the source page shows a much longer URL with an embedded redirect)
Identified as: TagASaurus

The only option that isn't greyed out is "DENY"

The thing is, I ALREADY block ad.yieldmanager.com via HOSTS and AVAST's Webshield, so this is overkill and an unnecessary interruption.

QUESTION: How do I disable this popup because it's happening every freaking time I access the aforementioned Yahoo page.

:police:BTW- IMHO Yahoo is one of the most user-unfriendly deployers of dubious 3rd party ad servers to ever link to the Internet. Their reputation hasn't improved since back when they held hands with Aureate Media. To offer users the useless OPT OUT (rather than OPT IN) method of blocking cookies is pure sleaze.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-13, 21:25
prisca-sapientia:

Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration". Then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" you can select among:
Block all pages silently
Display dialog when blocking
Ask for blocking confirmation
Change the selection from "Display dialog when blocking" to Select "Block all pages silently".

prisca-sapientia
2008-02-13, 21:56
Hello again, MD,
Naturally, shortly after I posted here, the Yahoo ad cycle changed and for a while, the pop up disappeared. Then it returned. While it was occurring the first time, I actually tried your suggestion, only I went through the pop-up itself... and Block Silently was enabled. (I'd enabled it long ago) That struck me as odd, i.e., if "silent", why the pop ups?
I'm only guessing that the latest updates reset something. During the first pop up encounters, SpyBot was still open as it had hit on a "false positive" (microsoft firewall override) I was researching.
Now, long after closing SpyBot, and reading your reply (thank you!), I went in via Tools | Spybot Config and darned if the setting wasn't back on "Display Dialogue When Blocking." Arrggghhhh :eek: I've reset it to Block Silently again and for now, no pop up. Time will tell. Thanks again.