PDA

View Full Version : doesent erase threats

soren28
2007-08-30, 11:12
Spybot discover about 14 entities every time, like "mediaplex", "tradedoubler", "hitbox". But everytime, after a clicked fix selected problems, they come back when I run a scan again. So why dont they go away after i scanned and "fix selected problems"?

thx

spybotsandra
2007-08-30, 11:13
Hello,

Doubleclick (and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc.) are so-called tracking cookies. It is quite common for popular websites to employ such tracking cookies from third parties. They use them in order to track the users' surfing habits on their websites. As I said, these cookies are from third parties but they are employed by the site. There is a tool in Spybot-S&D: BrowserHelper, i.e. a bad download blocker for Internet Explorer. With this tool enabled such tracking cookies will be blocked. In order to activate this tool, please run Spybot-S&D and go to the "Immunize" page. Checking the checkbox will enable the BrowserHelper, a drop down menu will appear giving you some options. You should select "Block all bad pages silently". With that option set the notifications will no longer come up, but you will still have the protection.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

chi-va
2007-08-30, 17:07
Apart from what Sandra has written, could it be possible that you are using Firefox and Spybot-S&D version 1.4? If yes, then it could be possible that Spybot-S&D 1.4 is not able to delete the Firefox cookies because of a bug in version 1.4. This would explain why the cookies are still there even if you haven't been online in the meantime. In this case, please try Spybot-S&D 1.5 RC 1:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsdbeta/index.html

If you prefer to wait for the final version then take a look here for blocking some of these cookies in Firefox.

chi-va
2007-08-31, 15:27
One link was missing.:rolleyes: Here you are:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/37.html