PDA

View Full Version : S&D 1.5 and IE7 Performance Problems

ballen2221
2007-09-05, 00:38
I recently installed S&D 1.5 RC1 as well as the newly released S&D 1.5. On both installs I have experienced very poor performance with IE7. Mainly pages take a lot longer to load, and some won't load fully. It's hard to describe, but seems a lot like packet loss....just particular images or parts of sites refuse to load. I have only been to well known sites such as CNN, Weather.com, etc. I'm not a "high risk" surfer!

I did clean installs of both RC1 and the release version of 1.5. Both were installed without TeaTimer, and I did uninstall S&D 1.4 prior to installing 1.5. I did use the "immunize" feature both times.

My system appears to be clean, according to S&D 1.4, 1.5, AVG-AS (free edition), Ad-aware, and AVG AV. I'm using a fully patched XP-Pro SP2. Also, reverting back to S&D 1.4, with immunity (no TeaTimer), absolutely fixes the problem. My pc surfs with IE7 fine using 1.4.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Dustyn
2007-09-05, 02:25
If you immunized your PC with Spybot 1.5, it has the default behavior of modifying your Windows Global Hosts file by entering in a whole slew of bad websites. This can slow your PC down if you have the DNS service enabled by default on XP/Vista. You can speed up your PC however by disabling the DNS Service located in "Administrative Tools" -> "Services". Or you can go back into the immunization feature of Spybot S&D, scroll down to Windows Hosts, and uncheck that Windows Global Hosts option. You may need to re-immunize since you unchecked an option.

ballen2221
2007-09-05, 03:47
Thanks....I'll give that a try tomorrow.